Cashner signing

jcaponio

• Replies 757
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Bubble Buddy said:

I guess that's fair. Based on his production last year and how the market has been, he probably deserved a 1 year deal at 3-5 mil. But I don't know, it was a short term deal so didn't hamper that much and hopefully he can eat innings this year. 

A one year deal sounds about right. All of the underlying numbers suggested he was EXTREMELY lucky in 2017. His era that year was 3.40, but his FIP was 4.61 and his xFIP was 5.40 so there's no way that era was repeatedly, especially given he had a 5+ era the year before. Unfortunately, at the time of the signing our "analytical" department was basically Brady Anderson. 

8 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

A one year deal sounds about right. All of the underlying numbers suggested he was EXTREMELY lucky in 2017. His era that year was 3.40, but his FIP was 4.61 and his xFIP was 5.40 so there's no way that era was repeatedly, especially given he had a 5+ era the year before. Unfortunately, at the time of the signing our "analytical" department was basically Brady Anderson. 

You going after Brady is getting old, we get your hatred of the guy.

Here is what I remember.

Cashner was on MLBTR list of top 5 FA SP.

During that off season, ALL FA SP were getting multi year deals.

He also had good WAR years in 2013 & 2014.

He was a veteran inning eater and expected as #4 starter.

He wasnt given Ublado money nor was he expected to be the TOR.

Just now, Redskins Rick said:

You going after Brady is getting old, we get your hatred of the guy.

Here is what I remember.

Cashner was on MLBTR list of top 5 FA SP.

During that off season, ALL FA SP were getting multi year deals.

He also had good WAR years in 2013 & 2014.

He was a veteran inning eater and expected as #4 starter.

He wasnt given Ublado money nor was he expected to be the TOR.

And you defending him is getting old. As long as he's on payroll he deserves every single sarcastic comment. He's more than earned every one of them. Cashner was a terrible signing. I guarantee you that no other team offered him a three year deal. It took me five seconds to see that his 2017 season was a mirage. Imagine many holes an actual analytical mind could find in his game. And good teams don't sign 4th starters to three year deals. 

30 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

And you defending him is getting old. As long as he's on payroll he deserves every single sarcastic comment. He's more than earned every one of them. Cashner was a terrible signing. I guarantee you that no other team offered him a three year deal. It took me five seconds to see that his 2017 season was a mirage. Imagine many holes an actual analytical mind could find in his game. And good teams don't sign 4th starters to three year deals. 

Because he wasnt the blame guy, he was the lackey dude doing what he was told to do by either the owner / GM.

No worries, its all good, trust me, you will not see me respond to one of your posts again.

Enjoy the Easter weekend

21 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

Because he wasnt the blame guy, he was the lackey dude doing what he was told to do by either the owner / GM.

No worries, its all good, trust me, you will not see me respond to one of your posts again.

Enjoy the Easter weekend

I’m sure Brady appreciates your description of him as a ‘lackey’ in his defense.

?

1 hour ago, Redskins Rick said:

Enjoy the Easter weekend

Ok, lets actually pretend for a second that Anderson actually followed the chain of command and reported to Duquette. Yes, Dan would have had the final say, but it was very clear that Brady was involved in the process because Cashner personally thanked him during his press conference. Is it really that much of a stretch to think that Brady was the one involved in the negotiations and the one one who recommended signing him to a three year deal? It doesn't seem like it to me. And again, it's the team's (and Anderson's) fault that we're even speculating because they refuse to define WHAT his role is and has been. If they don't us to make educated guesses then tell me what he did. What' the big secret? 

I think Cashner is pitching pretty well.   Fastball 92-94 and he can reach back for 95.   Good breaking pitches.  His biggest problem is too many pitches per inning.  However he is 3-0 in 4 April starts with a 3.38 ERA.   I'll take that for the rest for the season.  Or at least until he is traded in July.

34 minutes ago, wildcard said:

I think Cashner is pitching pretty well.   Fastball 92-94 and he can reach back for 95.   Good breaking pitches.  His biggest problem is too many pitches per inning.  However he is 3-0 in 4 April starts with a 3.38 ERA.   I'll take that for the rest for the season.  Or at least until he is traded in July.

Pretty solid outing yesterday.    Hyde has demonstrated that he pulls starters pretty quickly, though yesterday, he pretty much had no choice with Cashner at 98 pitches through 5.    That’s the most pitches any Orioles starter has thrown this year.   

On 4/19/2019 at 12:09 PM, Il BuonO said:

I’m sure Brady appreciates your description of him as a ‘lackey’ in his defense.

?

True, and I didnt mean it that way.

He was just the org guy sent out to wine and dine and get the deal done.

Much like division 1 NCAA send out their assistants to visit homes and do the recuiriting.

o

67% of the outs that Cashner recorded (13 out of 21) came via the Groundout and the Strikeout.

21 OUTS: ) 6 Groundouts (Including 2 Double Plays), 5 Strikeouts, 5 Flyouts, 3 Lineouts

ANDREW BURTON CASHNER ))))))) (vs. WHITE SOX, 4/23)

IP:ll 7

H:lllll 5 )) (1 Triple, 4 Singles)

R:lllll 1

BB:lll1

SO:ll.5

Pitches: )l 100(64 )Strikes, )36 )Balls)

2019 ERA: )l 4.18 )l) 32.33 IP  (15 ER)

2019 WHIP: )l 1.392 )l )  32.33 IP  (45 H/BB)

2019 OPPONENTS BATTING AVG: )l .260 ))  (32 for 123)

PITCHES BY INNING

19 ll(11 llStrikes, llll8  lBalls)

16 ll(9llStrikes, llll7 llBalls)

14 lll(10 llStrikes, llll.4 lllBalls)

10 lll(71 lStrikes, llllllllBalls)

13 lll(11 lStrikes, llllllllBalls)

16 lll(81 lStrikes, llllllllBalls)

12 lll(81 lStrikes, llllllllBalls)

o

o

Cashner had to record 13 outs in 4 Innings Pitched, due to a runner that reached safely on a dropped 3rd strike in the 2nd inning.

13 OUTS: ) 8 Strikeouts, 2 Groundouts, 2 Flyouts, 1 Foulout

ANDREW BURTON CASHNER ))))))) (vs. WHITE SOX, 5/01)

IP:ll 4

H:lllll 6 )) (1 Home Run, 1 Triple, 4 Singles)

R:lllll 5

ER:ll 4

BB:lll2

SO:lll8

Pitches: )l 99(60 )Strikes, )39 )Balls)

2019 ERA: )l 4.71 )l) 36.33 IP  (19 ER)

2019 WHIP: )l 1.459 )l )  36.33 IP  (53 H/BB)

2019 OPPONENTS BATTING AVG: )l .266 ))  (38 for 143)

PITCHES BY INNING

14 ll(10 llStrikes, lll41  lBalls)

25 ll(17 llStrikes, lll81 llBalls)

24 lll(14 llStrikes, ll10 llllBalls)

36 lll(19 lStrikes, ll17 llllBalls)

o

He looked way better than his final line in my humble opinion. Stuff looked pretty nasty. His defense let him down multiple times that weren’t scored as errors. Not only did this hurt his numbers, it crippled his pitch efficiency. 

In particular, the snap on his breaking ball looked great. 

5 minutes ago, BohKnowsBmore said:

He looked way better than his final line in my humble opinion. Stuff looked pretty nasty. His defense let him down multiple times that weren’t scored as errors. Not only did this hurt his numbers, it crippled his pitch efficiency. 

In particular, the snap on his breaking ball looked great. 

No doubt the defensive lapses added a lot to his pitch count.   

Archived