Manny: “Thank God I wasn’t traded.”

Frobby

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He has no intention of signing with the Orioles. Never has. Sell him to the highest bidder and get some pieces that can help the team beyond this season. That's really the only smart play. 

The problem is you have a manager and GM who probably won't be here beyond this season so they have no incentive to get behind this type of move. Can't fault them (Buck in particular) for wanting to keep Machado because next season the gaping whole at SS will be someone else's problem. 

2 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

He has no intention of signing with the Orioles. Never has. Sell him to the highest bidder and get some pieces that can help the team beyond this season. That's really the only smart play. 

The problem is you have a manager and GM who probably won't be here beyond this season so they have no incentive to get behind this type of move. Can't fault them (Buck in particular) for wanting to keep Machado because next season the gaping whole at SS will be someone else's problem. 

He is a FA after this year. He can sign anywhere he likes. And the O's get squat. 

13 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I don't know, if that team isn't the Yankees he might wait and see if the Yanks are willing to match the offer.

I don't know if anyone is coming up with $40M per for Manny, and while the Yankees could certainly afford it I wonder whether they'd be a little gun shy given how A Rod ended and that they are on the hook for $243M for Stanton.

I'd offer in the ballpark of $27M/year and make a solid offer to Schoop at the same time, and leak the dollar ranges to the press.  After that let the chips fall.

Of course they say the right things now. When it comes to free agency, though,  they will be out for the most money.  Thats the nature of today's game. Manny would love to play in baltimore in 2019, but only if they give him more money to do it than the yankees.  Fat chance.  Im not looking forward to the times in 2018 that manny comes up and pops out trying to hit a home run with a runner on 2nd and nobody out.

9 minutes ago, billhatf said:

Of course they say the right things now. When it comes to free agency, though,  they will be out for the most money.  Thats the nature of today's game. Manny would love to play in baltimore in 2019, but only if they give him more money to do it than the yankees.  Fat chance.  Im not looking forward to the times in 2018 that manny comes up and pops out trying to hit a home run with a runner on 2nd and nobody out.

I'm sure that  you, on the verge of the biggest contract ever, would offer to stay in Baltimore for half market value.  Because growing up in Miami you always dreamed of playing through a rebuild in Charm City on a fantastically team-friendly deal.

4 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

I'm sure that  you, on the verge of the biggest contract ever, would offer to stay in Baltimore for half market value.  Because growing up in Miami you always dreamed of playing through a rebuild in Charm City on a fantastically team-friendly deal.

If Machado were to resign how much of a rebuild would it really be?

11 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

What is the market value?  The current high is $25M which the team couldn't afford.  

I don't expect Manny to stay for half, but it's not out of the realm to think a player (maybe not this one) would be willing to stay in a comfortable position for something close. 

Would signing Schoop long term help that?  Maybe.  I'd give it a shot.

Archived