Time to get creative

webbrick2010

2 hours ago, webbrick2010 said:

My thinking is that the O's want to compete in 2018, and then re-build in 2019 and beyond, so my thought process was to throw an irresistible amount of money at him in 2018,

with a low player option for 2019, 2020 to give Cobb some insurance against an injury, but if he pitches well the O's have him for one year and can start the re-build in 2019 Win/Win

Not a terrible idea in my opinion.    But I can’t imagine the Orioles doing it.   

2 hours ago, interloper said:

If it's one thing the O's are not, it's creative. 

Isn't the generic, standard issue, by-the-book way to build a team to stock up on international signings, draft well, and inject a some expensive name free agents to push you over the top?  Wouldn't "creative" be trying to compete by not doing things by-the-book?   Doesn't that make the Orioles quite creative, if not necessarily always successful?

2 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Isn't the generic, standard issue, by-the-book way to build a team to stock up on international signings, draft well, and inject a some expensive name free agents to push you over the top?  Wouldn't "creative" be trying to compete by not doing things by-the-book?   Doesn't that make the Orioles quite creative, if not necessarily always successful?

Don't really agree with your premise here, but I understand what you're saying.

10 minutes ago, MDtransplant757 said:

But will we see one of them here? 

No, I don't think they'll need to drop their price to a point where the Orioles would get involved. My prediction is Lance Lynn to the Twins. Alex Cobb to the Brewers. Jake Arrieta to the Phillies.

7 hours ago, webbrick2010 said:

My thinking is that the O's want to compete in 2018, and then re-build in 2019 and beyond, so my thought process was to throw an irresistible amount of money at him in 2018.

I like the idea of irresistible money for 2018. I wanted to offer irresistible money to Darvish for 2018 with opt-outs, even if he was saying he wanted to pitch elsewhere.

5 hours ago, DrungoHazewood said:

The word would be "unconventional." That's not necessarily being creative.

8 hours ago, webbrick2010 said:

My thinking is that the O's want to compete in 2018, and then re-build in 2019 and beyond, so my thought process was to throw an irresistible amount of money at him in 2018,

with a low player option for 2019, 2020 to give Cobb some insurance against an injury, but if he pitches well the O's have him for one year and can start the re-build in 2019 Win/Win

You do know when a team honestly wants to compete and is "going for it" they usually have a higher payroll than the previous year, not 20 to 30 million less. What have they done, at all, to make anyone think they are trying to compete or are "going for it" this year.

3 hours ago, MDtransplant757 said:

I will guarantee we will see one of them here.  I am not as comfortable that either will be in an Oriole uniform...it's not completely impossible but...

27 minutes ago, joeyc said:

You do know when a team honestly wants to compete and is "going for it" they usually have a higher payroll than the previous year, not 20 to 30 million less. What have they done, at all, to make anyone think they are trying to compete or are "going for it" this year.

The Orioles are demonstrating their creativity in going for it while reducing payroll and fielding a team where as many people as possible are on the final year of their contract.  The good news is, we are probably going to win it all.  The bad news is that we will all be here screaming next year to do it again, and will have to get real real creative to bring everyone back and still reduce payroll.  But hey, if we get the ring...I'm in!

3 hours ago, MDtransplant757 said:

3 hours ago, theocean said:

No, I don't think they'll need to drop their price to a point where the Orioles would get involved. My prediction is Lance Lynn to the Twins. Alex Cobb to the Brewers. Jake Arrieta to the Phillies.

I think Cobb is going to the Yankees, Lynn to the Nationals and Arrieta to the Phillies.  

Archived