What If Tillman Gets Hammered in Spring Training?

mdbdotcom

• Replies 552
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, theobird said:

I don't think Tillman has ever been anything more than a number 3 starter on a contending team.

I don’t understand what this means.    Tillman has been on several contending teams.   He was either the best or second best pitcher on the 2016 team and the 2014 team, both of which made the playoffs.  He was the best pitcher on the 2013 team, which I would call a contending team though they fell out of the race in mid-September.   He had the best ERA of the 2012 starters, but I won’t argue he was one of our two best that year since he only pitched half the year and wasn’t used in the playoffs.    

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

I don’t understand what this means.    Tillman has been on several contending teams.   He was either the best or second best pitcher on the 2016 team and the 2014 team, both of which made the playoffs.  He was the best pitcher on the 2013 team, which I would call a contending team though they fell out of the race in mid-September.   He had the best ERA of the 2012 starters, but I won’t argue he was one of our two best that year since he only pitched half the year and wasn’t used in the playoffs.    

I guess you point out that he's never had a FIP under 4.00 as a ML regular and conclude that he's not a #1 or 2 guy.  (he did have a 3.99 in 62 IP in 2011)

14 minutes ago, Frobby said:

You’re being disingenuous. Tillman has always outperformed his peripheral profile. And thank goodness he did.

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

He didn't in 2011. 

3.99 FIP, 5.52 ERA.

Last year his FIP was "only" 6.93

But yea, he mostly has as a starter.

Can’t you just reply with a ‘FTFY’ post? I can’t be expected to self-edit every post!

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

I guess you point out that he's never had a FIP under 4.00 as a ML regular and conclude that he's not a #1 or 2 guy.  (he did have a 3.99 in 62 IP in 2011)

That is irrelevant to the question of whether he’s ever been better than the third best pitcher on a contending team.    He has been, several times.    

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

That is irrelevant to the question of whether he’s ever been better than the third best pitcher on a contending team.    He has been, several times.    

It wasn't a point I was trying to make.

But depending on how you interpret the conversation that could have been the point being made.

45 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Tillman’s contribution is not diminished by the team’s lack of providing quality starters.

1 hour ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Tillman’s ST debut is today vs Twins and Lance Lynn.  Boy, this won’t be a big deal here today at all. Haha 

Very big day for Tilly and the O's.    Is he the 2016 Tilly?  The 2017 Tilly or something in between?

He probably faces the Twin OD lineup in Fort Myers.

Archived