What If Tillman Gets Hammered in Spring Training?

mdbdotcom

Just now, Frobby said:

As discouraging as that outing was, I agree he needs to get a couple more chances.   Obviously, if he’s this bad all spring (or close), they’ll need to cut him.    

Will be interesting watching Buck minimize this after the game.    

Before Bundy's good outing, I mentioned the O's would be "scrambling" if he threw another bad outing. He didn't, which is great, but the same applies here. If Tillman is done, they will for sure be scrambling. Now you need 2 starters again. Now you're royally screwed again. 

If they don't get Cobb, they basically don't have any options save a 39-yr-old Lackey or a 43-yr-old Dickey. Or, you know, Rule 5 guys and Miguel Castro. 

• Replies 552
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Frobby said:

As discouraging as that outing was, I agree he needs to get a couple more chances.   Obviously, if he’s this bad all spring (or close), they’ll need to cut him.    

I suppose the *only* comparable here for the O's is Miguel Gonzalez in 2016 when Duquette screwed the pooch and cut him when he was pitching around 87-89mph and had poor results and was looking to make about $5m.

Duquette cut him to recoup a few million...and then he nearly immediately (first game was April 25th) gains his velocity back for the White Sox and pitches effectively. 

That said...if Tillman is indeed still hurt...well...wishful thinking at best that he's effective.

8 minutes ago, jamalshw said:

I'm far from optimistic that he'll return, but I'm not letting one terrible Spring outing be the nail in the coffin. Maybe I should. Maybe I'm just being contrarian because I'm exhausted by the "should we be worried about Bundy" and "Trumbo is in a worse spot than Davis and both should be gone" talk. I don't know.

In the end: today was a bad sign for Tillman. We can at least agree on that. For now, however, I'm trying my best to keep the Orange Kool-Aid flowing a bit. It's still Spring Training and I want to hold on to that false optimism a bit longer even if I know it may not be logical. As such, I'm not giving up on Tillman just yet.

No need to worry.  $3 million dollars buys a long rope.  ;-)

3 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I'm expecting him to get the Kim/Mountcastle treatment.

I think a public dressing down will help the situation.

Just now, interloper said:

Please take my stupid draft pick so I don't have to suffer through garbage baseball all summer. Please. Take all the picks. 

I genuinely hope Cobb gets a 2-3 year deal from the Orioles and can provide some stability.

2 minutes ago, LookitsPuck said:

I suppose the *only* comparable here for the O's is Miguel Gonzalez in 2016 when Duquette screwed the pooch and cut him when he was pitching around 87-89mph and had poor results and was looking to make about $5m.

Duquette cut him to recoup a few million...and then he nearly immediately (first game was April 25th) gains his velocity back for the White Sox and pitches effectively. 

That said...if Tillman is indeed still hurt...well...wishful thinking at best that he's effective.

He recoups nothing, nothing!

*I mean Tillman's deal is guaranteed, so in that case it isn't like Gonzo*

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

I'm expecting him to get the Kim/Mountcastle treatment.

I think a public dressing down will help the situation.

How in the world would a public dressing down help this particular situation?  

4 minutes ago, interloper said:

Before Bundy's good outing, I mentioned the O's would be "scrambling" if he threw another bad outing. He didn't, which is great, but the same applies here. If Tillman is done, they will for sure be scrambling. Now you need 2 starters again. Now you're royally screwed again. 

If they don't get Cobb, they basically don't have any options save a 39-yr-old Lackey or a 43-yr-old Dickey. Or, you know, Rule 5 guys and Miguel Castro. 

You could bring up Harvey now.  Let him learn on the job. 

Archived