What If Tillman Gets Hammered in Spring Training?

mdbdotcom

• Replies 552
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

It wouldn't.

I don't think it was the right choice in the Kim and Mountcastle situations either.

Not in the Kim situation, I agree.

But Mountcastle? Absolutely warranted. Young, privileged draft babies oft need a kick in the ass. I respect Buck for identifying where it was necessary in that situation.

Publicly dressing down Tillman would be idiotic, IMHO.

Maybe Tilman's problem is mental.  Chuck Knoblauch could make the throw to second everytime in practice.  Though you get him in a game and he sees a runner going down the line he had no idea where it was going.  Rick Ankel was the same way he was fine in warmups and sim games but in an actually game he had no idea where it was going.  There was too many people saying Tilman looked good to think he looked like this in bullpen sessions and even the sim game.

Just now, LookitsPuck said:

Not in the Kim situation, I agree.

But Mountcastle? Absolutely warranted. Young, privileged draft babies oft need a kick in the ass. I respect Buck for identifying where it was necessary in that situation.

Publicly dressing down Tillman would be idiotic, IMHO.

Can we not hijack this thread with more Mountcastle stuff?

26 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Signing him to a guaranteed deal, even it was for only $3 million was ludicrous.  He hasn't been right since mid 2016.

I agree also they had no competition.  Should have just given him a minor league contract.  That way if he has a bad spring you can give the 3 million to someone like Feldman.  Sad for Tilman though he was a very productive starter for us.  

11 minutes ago, amdcpus said:

Well at least it was only 3 million.

More than the net worth of 99% of Americans, 99.5% of the worlds population

Really getting hard to be a baseball fan... I hate guaranteed contracts... PGA is a much better league, only the top scores get paid

18 minutes ago, jamalshw said:

I'm far from optimistic that he'll return, but I'm not letting one terrible Spring outing be the nail in the coffin. Maybe I should. Maybe I'm just being contrarian because I'm exhausted by the "should we be worried about Bundy" and "Trumbo is in a worse spot than Davis and both should be gone" talk. I don't know.

In the end: today was a bad sign for Tillman. We can at least agree on that. For now, however, I'm trying my best to keep the Orange Kool-Aid flowing a bit. It's still Spring Training and I want to hold on to that false optimism a bit longer even if I know it may not be logical. As such, I'm not giving up on Tillman just yet.

That's all well and good, but a lack of velocity and control coming after a year in which had diminished velocity and control doesn't bode well for him. the fact that Orioles been hiding him all spring also says they had concerns. Remember, this guy has been in their camp before camp even started.

Archived