Dick Bleier, your new favorite reliever

Rene88

o

(vs. YANKEES, 4/08)

For the 2nd time in 3 days, the Orioles are involved an extra-inning marathon with the Yankees.

And for the 2nd time in 2 games, Richard Bleier has pitched very well out of the bullpen.

PLUS ........ Bleier threw 0.67 shutout innings yesterday also, in between these two  marathon games.

In all 3 games combined against the Yankees (April 6th, 7th, and 8th), Bleier threw 5.67 shutout innings while throwing )72 Pitches )(43 )Strikes, )29 )Balls.)

o

• Upvote 1

Fun article.  Yes, too many relievers, impossible to keep track of them all.  Bleier tops the list.

If you have a second, watch Makita's video.  Dude throws slow, slower and slowerer.

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/23095176/your-new-favorite-reliever-power-rankings-eight-guys-love-never-heard-of

1. Dick Bleier is your new favorite reliever.

33513.png&w=65&h=90&scale=crop&backgrounTechnically, he goes by Richard, but he's so dead ball era that it's impossible not to call him by a dead ball first name. Dick Bleier, an Oriole, a left-hander, with an 89 mph sinker, struck out 26 batters in an entire major league season last year -- last year, 2017, when the league set yet another strikeout record. He pitched 63 innings and stuck out as many batters as A.J. Minter (remember him? From right up there?) did after his Aug. 23 call-up. That's 3.7 K/9, which would have been the league average in 1949, when the minimum wage was 40 cents an hour and the population of Las Vegas was 24,000.

In any season there's bound to be some pitcher who can't strike anybody out, but Bleier is actually really good. He had a 1.99 ERA last year (and 1.96 the year before), and after six outings he's at 1.04 this year. Wait, this fun fact has potential: OK, Bleier has -- yes! -- the best ERA+ in major league history, minimum 95 innings! (He has thrown 95 innings.)

Look, I'm a realist: It will take me seven years of this to believe Richard Bleier is good. But I'm also a cynic, and it will only take me 95 innings to believe there's something wrong with all of Major League Baseball for failing to see Richard Bleier is obviously good and everybody just missed it. That's why I like watching Richard Bleier. That's why I like relievers: They can mean almost anything you want them to mean.

• Upvote 2

On 4/8/2018 at 5:43 PM, OFFNY said:

o

(vs. YANKEES, 4/08)

For the 2nd time in 3 days, the Orioles are involved an extra-inning marathon with the Yankees.

And for the 2nd time in 2 games, Richard Bleier has pitched very well out of the bullpen.

PLUS ........ Bleier threw 0.67 shutout innings yesterday also, in between these two  marathon games.

In all 3 games combined against the Yankees (April 6th, 7th, and 8th), Bleier threw 5.67 shutout innings while throwing )72 Pitches )(43 )Strikes, )29 )Balls.)

o

o

(3 DAYS LATER)

Bleier had a quick, 1-2-3 inning for the Orioles tonight, against the Blue Jays.

He only threw 12 pitches in the process, and he was pitching to the top of the Blue Jays' order (Curtis Granderson, Justin Smoak, and Yangervis Solarte.)

o