O's claim Jace Peterson

interloper

33 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Though Peterson in starting at 2B tonight, he may be the O's best player to be the 3B while Beckham is out.   Probably better defensively  than Valencia.    Or at least platoon with him.   Tejada or Corban Joseph may be  getting a chance a 2B because of Sardinas has not proved to be the solution so far. 

Move Manny to 3B, sign Hardy and burn this motha to the ground.

21 hours ago, Going Underground said:

(vs. D-RAYS, 4/25)

Playing 2nd Base, and batting ninth ........ Jace (is the Ace) Peterson.

21 hours ago, OFFNY said:

o

JACRYAN PETERSON - 2B

o

o

Peterson’s Pigskin Performance Proved Positive

(By Roch Kubatko)

http://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2018/04/petersons-pigskin-performance-proved-positive.html

o

So I couldn't help but notice,  Jace Peterson has been on our team for three games. The last 2 games he has stolen 3rd base against the shift where everyone is on the right side of the field with no one close to covering 3rd base. He ran on the pitcher both times.

Has anyone else done this? I cant recall that happening. Is this guy really smart, and all our other players like stupid at baserunning?  Did our coaches not ever notice that you can steal 3rd against the shift. 

Whats up? 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Natty said:

So I couldn't help but notice,  Jace Peterson has been on our team for three games. The last 2 games he has stolen 3rd base against the shift where everyone is on the right side of the field with no one close to covering 3rd base. He ran on the pitcher both times.

Has anyone else done this? I cant recall that happening. Is this guy really smart, and all our other players like stupid at baserunning?  Did our coaches not ever notice that you can steal 3rd against the shift. 

Whats up? 

Good point.  It's a very savvy move.  Take what they give you.  It might make teams think a bit more about when it is worthwhile to shift with runners on base.

8 minutes ago, Natty said:

Whats up? 

We have seen guys go first to third when the shift leaves the base open, but you are right I don't remember a straight steal of an open base while the pitcher has the ball.

Both times were 2 out and Davis up, and he struck out both times (shocking). Since Jace is already in scoring position, the odds of that play leading to a run are pretty small. I guess getting to third could force them to defend the bunt, which then opens up the field a bit more if Davis could ever make contact. It's a good play but there's a reason they are giving it to us.

Jace is definitely showing something in his brief time.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

We have seen guys go first to third when the shift leaves the base open, but you are right I don't remember a straight steal of an open base while the pitcher has the ball.

Both times were 2 out and Davis up, and he struck out both times (shocking). Since Jace is already in scoring position, the odds of that play leading to a run are pretty small. I guess getting to third could force them to defend the bunt, which then opens up the field a bit more if Davis could ever make contact. It's a good play but there's a reason they are giving it to us.

The best move behind it is that he can score on a wild pitch, passed ball, or balk. Chances are slim, but you never know what a runner on third could do to a pitchers concentration.

1 hour ago, Aristotelian said:

I agree, but keep in mind that striking out on a wild pitch is a significant part of Davis's offensive arsenal. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, Natty said:

Whats up? 

It’s a smart move, but clearly he has the instincts and the speed to pull it off. I don’t want Alvarez or Davis trying it.