PressBox: D.J. Stewart Thinks He Could Help

weams

I think Stewart has earned a starting OF position for next year.  He's surprisingly solid on defense, has a very good arm, and some power.  Hays, Diaz, or Victor Mesa (if he's signed) could eventually push him to the bench, but give this guy a shot.  I know that others have said that Mullins isn't the type of player that you play service time games with and Stewart isn't either, IMO.  I would rather see Stewart in left than Mancini or some washed up player on his last legs. 

3 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

He's done better than I thought he would..

..but let's not get carried away.  He's gotta have a great spring.

Aside from Villar, Mullins and Mancini, none of em have earned anything.  

I wouldn't say that Mullins has earned a lot either.  707 OPS and the defense isn't as good as I was hoping.

I don't have a problem handing him CF next season but right now it is more of by default than he has earned it.

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

I wouldn't say that Mullins has earned a lot either.  707 OPS and the defense isn't as good as I was hoping.

I don't have a problem handing him CF next season but right now it is more of by default than he has earned it.

I agree with that for the most part.  But .807 OPS from the left side against righties.  .437 as a right handed hitter.

I think there should be a referendum on him switch hitting this offseason.  I know he'd have to get used to breaking pitches from the left side but maybe he just sees the ball better from that side and has an overall better swing from that side.  I dunno.

If not, then he should be platooned against lefties next year if he doesn't show improvement from the right side.

34 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

He's done better than I thought he would..

..but let's not get carried away.  He's gotta have a great spring.

Aside from Villar, Mullins and Mancini, none of em have earned anything.  

Might as well give Stewart a shot next year.  I can't see the point of signing Jones or another veteran OF for a 1 or 2 year deal that will just clog up the roster and make promoting young guys more difficult.  If Stewart doesn't cut it, just send him back to the minors.  Of course if he hits like Davis give another rookie a chance.  A veteran dominated team contributed to most of the 114 losses the O's have so far this year.