Random Thought Thread

Moose Milligan

7.32, 7.03, 5.56, 7.56.  Those are the ERAs of the 4 O's pitcher's that pitched tonight (5/23/18).  And of course until recently we had a pitcher who pitched for us with an even worse ERA (10.46 by Tillman!).  Truly  pathetic.

6 minutes ago, O's84 said:

7.32, 7.03, 5.56, 7.56.  Those are the ERAs of the 4 O's pitcher's that pitched tonight (5/23/18).  And of course until recently we had a pitcher who pitched for us with an even worse ERA (10.46 by Tillman!).  Truly  pathetic.

The second one is my area code.

6 hours ago, El_Duderino said:

Random thought:

The teams with similar records as the Os were built with tanking in mind. Unintentional tanking for the win. 

The truly hilarious/heartbreaking aspect of this season.  This was FO/dugout giving it their best.

11 minutes ago, bobmc said:

Could you repeat that?  :leaving::deadhorse:

27 minutes ago, oriolediehard said:

11 minutes ago, bobmc said:

Could you repeat that?  :leaving::deadhorse:

What happened to the edit function?  

27 minutes ago, oriolediehard said:

Unfortionately the baseball seaseon is over for me.  My second interest is hope for the Yankees to lose, I am rooting for the Red Sox to beat them out.  I don't hate the Red Sox nearly as much as the Yankees.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Friend:   So, did you guys hear the one about the team that went all in to win a championship with their GM, Manager, Best Player, 2 Best Relievers, and Team Leader all on the last year of their contract?  They doubled down by starting the season with 3 Rule V guys, 5 Non-Roster Invitees and Chris Tillman and Mike Wright.

Me:  So how'd that turn out?

Friend:  Well, they were shockingly 19 games out of first place before Memorial Day, had the worst record in all of baseball but proved to all that their commitment was real by plunging ahead and working hard and changing nothing.

Me:  Is that supposed to be a joke?  It's not very funny.

Friend:  No it is not funny.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, O's84 said:

8 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

The second one is my area code.

That's probably where the balls land off of Oriole pitchers.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• I think we're saying the same thing, or at least we rhyme. If they're going to include one league that has completely different quality of play, why not all leagues? Why stop at the Negro Leagues?
    • Baseball is different from most other team sports in a number of key aspects: The number of trials. 162 games is a lot of games to have random variation smooth out. If you pick random 16-game stretches you'll have NFL-like outliers, such as teams going 15-1 or 1-15. Nobody goes 150-12. Pitchers are very limited in how much they can pitch. A 200-inning starter can only have so much impact. Hitters cannot get more than ~1/8th of a team's PAs. This and the prior point means that there's no way around having your 3rd- and 5th and even 14th-best players getting almost as much playing time as #1. So you end up with the most dominant teams usually not even winning 2/3rds of their games, wherein other sports you can have teams win 80% or more. Which makes baseball look more random. Contributing to this is the expanded playoffs, where a .600 vs .575 matchup is more-or-less a coin flip. I doubt most other sports have a situation where the obviously best team in the league has a 25%-ish shot of the Championship (in other words, a 75% chance of going home disappointed) on day one of the playoffs. In most soccer leagues the regular season champ is The Champ, so there's a 0% chance of that. The best team always takes a big trophy home.
    • He got rewarded for swinging at a ball at his ankles.  He might also be able to hit a fastball up around his neck for a home run.  If he consistently swings at those types of pitches it will be to his detriment over the long run.  
    • People really underestimate luck and randomness. Drungo is right….baseball is no different than any other sport.
    • Yandy Diaz' BABIP for his career is .320. Last year it was .367. While batters exercise a larger degree of control over their BABIPs than pitchers, there is still a lot of noise (i.e. luck) in the data. This year his BABIP is down about 90 points compared to last. I would bet that's about equal parts not hitting the ball as well, and not having the balls he does hit fall in.
    • I think it can certainly be part of the recipe. 
    • Sure. But isn't that like saying a player pitched 85 innings of relief with a 3.00 ERA one year, then the next year he pitched 220 innings as a starter with a 3.00 ERA. I wouldn't say that was a consistent, expected performance.
  • Popular Contributors