52 members have voted

1. 1. Should every team be represented?

• Yes
    • No
    • Yes but expand the rosters to 35 players

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I dont think so. Best player should always get in. Problem is the one year when someone gets like 6 reps, people will start complaining. There should be a panel of experts,scouts and managers who pick the team. But no one will ever agree to that.

Fact of the matter is that there is no perfect way to pick the teams

I think every team should. It is the one game of the year all my friends who are fans of different AL teams sit down and root for the same team. It makes the game special to have one of your guys represented. The All-Star game is mainly for the fans (except the home field advantage), so let every fan have at least one player to pull for.

I voted no because "it counts" and you should have the best team possible.

That being said, if they refuse to take away this rule, then they should expand the roster.

Agreed. There's so much juxtaposition there. On one hand, they're trying to paint it out to be this important tradition that actually has some weight. On the other hand, they baby the game for ratings. One or there other guys... either it's just a light exhibition game or it means something. You can't have both.

I say yes, because of the size of the rosters, the interest it generates (you can't deny that a lot of people in Baltimore wouldn't watch if Roberts wasn't there), and because the whole thing has become a complete traveshamockery anyway.

Brian Roberts would be there anyway, at least he should be. If we didn't have a good AS candidate, I don't think many O's fans would choose to not watch the game because our version of Ken Harvey isn't in the game.

Where's the "Meh?" option? I used to get worked up about stuff like this, but I've come to think the all star game is just a meaningless exhibition for the fans. Don't care that Bud thinks otherwise. As a meaningless exhibition, sure, you need to have one player from every team just to give the people from Pittsburgh, Baltimore and KC something to cheer for, laugh at, and debate a little about.

I think the surest way to make the game even more irrelevant and meaningless than it already is would be to have a board of learned experts appoint the whole roster based on some concept of merit. At its best It's fun. Let's leave it at that.

I think every team should. It is the one game of the year all my friends who are fans of different AL teams sit down and root for the same team. It makes the game special to have one of your guys represented. The All-Star game is mainly for the fans (except the home field advantage), so let every fan have at least one player to pull for.

Exactly my thoughts. Yes, every team should have a representative. The All-Star game is supposed to be a celebration of baseball, not A Celebration of Baseball Except for the Royals (or whoever). Give fans in every city a reason to watch.

Where's the "Meh?" option? I used to get worked up about stuff like this, but I've come to think the all star game is just a meaningless exhibition for the fans. Don't care that Bud thinks otherwise. As a meaningless exhibition, sure, you need to have one player from every team just to give the people from Pittsburgh, Baltimore and KC something to cheer for, laugh at, and debate a little about.

I think the surest way to make the game even more irrelevant and meaningless than it already is would be to have a board of learned experts appoint the whole roster based on some concept of merit. At its best It's fun. Let's leave it at that.

Just have Joe Morgan appoint the players. :D

Exactly my thoughts. Yes, every team should have a representative. The All-Star game is supposed to be a celebration of baseball, not A Celebration of Baseball Except for the Royals (or whoever). Give fans in every city a reason to watch.

Do you think KC fans tuned in to watch Mark Redman?

Do you think KC fans tuned in to watch Mark Redman?

Some, yes. And some probably spent more time than was rational on Royal messageboards and blogs debating who their rep should be, like we do here. If the choice is always "no one" they'd probably just ignore the game and go fishing.

Remember, there are at least as many Cindys in the world as there are Drungos. Probably more. Cindys watch the All Star game for Mark Redman.

Archived