Ryan Mountcastle 2018

hoosiers

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

Well, you can start with the fact that he’s never played 2B.   I’d think we’d want him to get some experience there in the minors before handing him a major league job.    Not everyone’s Manny Machado.

What relevance is it that he's never played 2B?  ?

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Well, you can start with the fact that he’s never played 2B.   I’d think we’d want him to get some experience there in the minors before handing him a major league job.    Not everyone’s Manny Machado.

Huh, I did not know that he has never played second.

Now, how about my question about 3rd?    ;)

26 minutes ago, Aglets said:

Huh, I did not know that he has never played second.

Now, how about my question about 3rd?    ;)

I guess I must be seeing things.    In any event, I’m quite skeptical of Mountcastle’s ability to play 3B at the major league level.  I’ve heard a few comments from the Orioles’ brass that he’s improved there this year, but I’m very dubious, and frankly I’m sick of watching us put a poor defensive team on the field.  

8 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I guess I must be seeing things.    In any event, I’m quite skeptical of Mountcastle’s ability to play 3B at the major league level.  I’ve heard a few comments from the Orioles’ brass that he’s improved there this year, but I’m very dubious, and frankly I’m sick of watching us put a poor defensive team on the field.  

Yea I'm skeptical as well.  He seems like a guy without a position.   We can't move Davis.  Then we have to deal with Trumbo / Mancini........... seems like we just don't have the room right now.

29 minutes ago, Aglets said:

Yea I'm skeptical as well.  He seems like a guy without a position.   We can't move Davis.  Then we have to deal with Trumbo / Mancini........... seems like we just don't have the room right now.

I'm skeptical he sticks too, but I don't consider him a guy without a position, I consider him a guy who was shortsightedly shoehorned into the wrong position. 

12 minutes ago, Luke-OH said:

I'm skeptical he sticks too, but I don't consider him a guy without a position, I consider him a guy who was shortsightedly shoehorned into the wrong position. 

It looks like he has only played SS and third base in the minors.  Are you saying he'd be better as a SS?    Or should he be playing some position he's never played before professionally?     I guess it's safe to assume we could use him at 1B or DH if we had the space....maybe that's what you meant?

31 minutes ago, Aglets said:

It looks like he has only played SS and third base in the minors.  Are you saying he'd be better as a SS?    Or should he be playing some position he's never played before professionally?     I guess it's safe to assume we could use him at 1B or DH if we had the space....maybe that's what you meant?

No, I've mentioned this before, but the Orioles always knew that he wasn't going to be a SS moving forward. Some wanted him to stay there as long as possible, the publicly given reason was that it'd help him learn the game better and develop better. That doesn't make much sense to me, but I'm not a baseball coach, so whatever.

Then they decided it was time to move him. There was a big discussion/debate, many people were in favor of 2B (since he couldn't throw), but 3B won out in large part because that wouldn't involve also moving Schoop when Manny walked and that maybe it'd be quicker transitioned to 3B because the angle off the bat. I learned this from someone who was a part of those discussions.

If you watch Mountcastle, you'll see he's not a 1B/DH, he's not a lump on the field, he's an athletic guy who should at least be a COF. 

I didn't realize he was considered for 2B.  That makes a lot of sense now I would think.  Schoop could be traded before he becomes a free agent, but either way the timing seems be in favor of moving him to 2B now if they were going to.  His prospect stock would jump a bit too.

2 minutes ago, ScGO's said:

I didn't realize he was considered for 2B.  That makes a lot of sense now I would think.  Schoop could be traded before he becomes a free agent, but either way the timing seems be in favor of moving him to 2B now if they were going to.  His prospect stock would jump a bit too.

Or move Schoop to third and Beckham back to short.

1 hour ago, Luke-OH said:

No, I've mentioned this before, but the Orioles always knew that he wasn't going to be a SS moving forward. Some wanted him to stay there as long as possible, the publicly given reason was that it'd help him learn the game better and develop better. That doesn't make much sense to me, but I'm not a baseball coach, so whatever.

Then they decided it was time to move him. There was a big discussion/debate, many people were in favor of 2B (since he couldn't throw), but 3B won out in large part because that wouldn't involve also moving Schoop when Manny walked and that maybe it'd be quicker transitioned to 3B because the angle off the bat. I learned this from someone who was a part of those discussions.

If you watch Mountcastle, you'll see he's not a 1B/DH, he's not a lump on the field, he's an athletic guy who should at least be a COF. 

The part that always seemed weird to me was that they moved him to 3rd as soon as they promoted him, almost as a double whammy for him to try and adjust to 2 new things at once.

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

Supposedly that isn't an option.

I'd do it and I don't think his value is as low as some folks are saying.  I think the oblique strain has been bothering him.

At least we'll Schoop Trade threads to look forward to from November til August

6 hours ago, Luke-OH said:

I always wondered about this because the main criticism seemed to be his arm, rather than range.

Archived