Could the Orioles Move Out of Baltimore in 2024?

oriolesfan97

17 minutes ago, atomic said:

Soccer is more fun to play than baseball. 

Even if you are great at baseball and play shortstop most of the time you are just sitting or standing around.  

In soccer you get punished for being faster than everyone else.

On 7/2/2018 at 11:54 AM, Redskins Rick said:

Im watching the rec league baseball teams, barely have enough players, and 2/3 less than what it was when my son played.

Before you say old neighborhood, the boys are just choosing other sports, like soccer is busting at the seams. From what I have heard, at least in Maryland, most rec leagues are seeing the same results.

This is also the case in football. There are only about 60% as many youth games as there was 10 years ago.

4 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Youth football has to deal with the head trauma issue.

I've been a football official for 20 years.  I've done everything from the From 6 year olds to Varsity level. The problem is way overblown! I can count the number of serious injuries on one hand and the number of concussions weren't much more than that. 

Its much more relevant in college and the pros

11 hours ago, atomic said:

Soccer is more fun to play than baseball. 

Even if you are great at baseball and play shortstop most of the time you are just sitting or standing around.  

My 9-year-old played a doubleheader last week. This was between two "travel" teams, so at least the kids are engaged and have some ability. During the first game, the ball was hit into play 4 or 5 times over 5 innings before the 2-hour time limit was reached. It was dreadfully boring to watch. I can't imagine it was fun for anyone buy the pitchers and catchers.  

7 hours ago, Roll Tide said:

I've been a football official for 20 years.  I've done everything from the From 6 year olds to Varsity level. The problem is way overblown! I can count the number of serious injuries on one hand and the number of concussions weren't much more than that. 

Its much more relevant in college and the pros

I don't disagree with your observations. But the perception of danger is keeping participation numbers down.

I have three sons and have successfully steered them away from football. I was concerned about injury but also was not fond of the culture around our local leagues. 

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

I never had less fun playing a sport as I did playing soccer against a bunch of middle age Germans that totally outclassed me in skill.

I'd have more fun facing major league pitching.

Well you should have played against the German women's U-20 soccer team.  You still would have been outclassed but other benefits.

Related image

8 minutes ago, Why Not? said:

I don't disagree with your observations. But the perception of danger is keeping participation numbers down.

I have three sons and have successfully steered them away from football. I was concerned about injury but also was not fond of the culture around our local leagues. 

Yes you are correct 

You have every right to guide your children, I can speak for your leagues as I'm not sure where you are located. I do know that the high school federation has made drastic changes to the rules to protect kids both in regards to penaltie, ejections for targeting (blindside block, helmet to helmet, hands to the face, and defenseless player). 

I observed high school coaches doing group (4team) scrimmages and huddling together to discuss the attack on the game and personal conduct

, I love the Orioles but football is he greatest game in the world.

On 6/27/2018 at 11:55 PM, 24fps said:

I vote for Nashville.  20 minutes away.  WooHoo!  As long as they can field a better team than Vandy that is...

I'm not sure about uncontestable though.  Mlb.tv blacks out St. Louis, Cincy and Atlanta for me.

Yep. Won’t be easy. Vandy’s a baseball powerhouse!

When I lived in Nashville (2005-07) it was solidly Braves country with many people making weekend trips to ATL, etc. (closer than people think). The idea of the Braves as “Team of the South” is very real. Go to a Braves game any Fri or Sat night, and you’ll have people from SC, TN, MS, AL, AR, etc. all around you. Team in NSH would need to be good.

On 7/2/2018 at 11:56 AM, ORIOLE33 said:

Why is baseball so big on expansion when attendance is down?

MLB hasn't expanded in 20 years.

30 teams is an awkward number for purposes of scheduling, divisions and playoff eligibility. 

Most of all, selling expansion franchises brings significant dollars to the existing owners for doing nothing. 

In the short run, attendance in expansion cities is always good. 

I'm pretty sure two teams would have been added a few years ago if it weren't for the problem created by the Tampa and and Oakland situations.

• Upvote 1