Will Chris Davis make it to 502 PA?

Aglets

Will the Orioles let Chris Davis reach 'official' legendary status?  

36 members have voted

1. 1. Does he get 502 PA before the end of the season?

• Yes
    • No

Articles have been written galore about Chris Davis having an absolutely terrible season.  On pace for the worst season in history for a qualified position player.

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/23729870/real-not-chris-davis-worst-season-all

https://www.12up.com/posts/6086758-chris-davis-still-on-pace-to-post-worst-mlb-season-of-all-time-by-a-wide-margin

You get the idea.

When Adam Dunn was on pace for a similar horrific year awhile back, the White Sox benched him in September to save his dignity.  He ended that season with 496 PA, which I'm sure was not a coincidence.

You need 502 PA to qualify for the batting title...........will Chris Davis get there?

He is currently on pace for 537 or so (308 through 93 team games) but unless he has another extended absence that number will likely creep up.

So will they have mercy on him?   If you were Buck.....would you?

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think he gets there, but I'm not sure if it's by coincidence or design. I'd like to see the Orioles call up Mullins and Stewart and give them the bulk of starts in LF and CF. Doing that would likely push Mancini to get more ABs at 1B and DH (unless he gets demoted) and that could eat into Davis's playing time. At this point, Trumbo plays over Davis in most cases (and while I'd like to see the O's capitalize on Trumbo's solid production, I don't think he's tradeable).

On a side note, after looking up that Dunn season, it gives me a bit of optimism that maybe there is a chance to come back from this horribleness. After all, Dunn bounced back to have a .800 OPS the next year. Of course, for Dunn it was just the one year and it's been longer for Davis, but still...

1 hour ago, Aglets said:

Articles have been written galore about Chris Davis having an absolutely terrible season.  On pace for the worst season in history for a qualified position player.

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/23729870/real-not-chris-davis-worst-season-all

https://www.12up.com/posts/6086758-chris-davis-still-on-pace-to-post-worst-mlb-season-of-all-time-by-a-wide-margin

You get the idea.

When Adam Dunn was on pace for a similar horrific year awhile back, the White Sox benched him in September to save his dignity.  He ended that season with 496 PA, which I'm sure was not a coincidence.

You need 502 PA to qualify for the batting title...........will Chris Davis get there?

He is currently on pace for 537 or so (308 through 93 team games) but unless he has another extended absence that number will likely creep up.

I hope not. 500 plus PA is way too much. We are going to have that man for four more years. 

4 hours ago, Aglets said:

You get the idea.

How about having mercy on themselves?    It’s torture to watch the guy play.

As of the 93 game mark, Dunn had 328 PA, 20 ahead of what Davis has now.    He sat more and more as the season progressed.    In his final 19 games, he hit a whopping .102, so it was pretty easy to keep him on the bench.    

Davis has been a little less atrocious than usual the last 2-3 weeks, so my guess is they won’t bench him regularly for a while now, but he’ll still sit out some games.  

1 hour ago, ChrisP said:

Even if he gets 502, I don't think he'll win the batting title.

I remember in 1980 when Brett was hitting over .400 the question was would he make it to 502.  He made it to 515 but ended up hitting .390.   He was hitting .400 on September 19th. 

Lot harder to maintain a .400 average than a .150 average.  All Chris has to do is go 1-4 one game and 0-4 the next for the rest of the year and he will have the worst season ever. 

1 hour ago, atomic said:

I remember in 1980 when Brett was hitting over .400 the question was would he make it to 502.  He made it to 515 but ended up hitting .390.   He was hitting .400 on September 19th. 

Lot harder to maintain a .400 average than a .150 average.  All Chris has to do is go 1-4 one game and 0-4 the next for the rest of the year and he will have the worst season ever. 

I have faith in CD. He can do it!

If he's going to be bad he might as well be historically bad ; )

• 1 month later...

It's August 27th, and Chris Davis has gotten his average all the way up to .167, so good for him!     That's.......progress.

He now has 448 PA through 131 team games........which puts him on pace for just over 550 for the season.

It appears that it will take an injury or a 'manager's decision' to prevent Davis from getting to the magical 502 plateau now.

Archived