Will Chris Davis make it to 502 PA?

Aglets

Will the Orioles let Chris Davis reach 'official' legendary status?  

36 members have voted

1. 1. Does he get 502 PA before the end of the season?

• Yes
    • No

4 hours ago, Frobby said:

Davis went 0 for 4 last night to lower his average to .170.   He’s 1 for 32 over his last 9 games.    Assuming he played every day the rest of the way and got 4 at bats per game, he’d need to hit .305 the rest of the way to get above .179.   Looks like the record’s going to be his.

Let him DH for the remaing games. 

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, Frobby said:

Davis went 0 for 4 last night to lower his average to .170.   He’s 1 for 32 over his last 9 games.    Assuming he played every day the rest of the way and got 4 at bats per game, he’d need to hit .305 the rest of the way to get above .179.   Looks like the record’s going to be his.

September - .146/.196/.167/.363  OPS+4 (that's right, single digits)

1 hour ago, tntoriole said:

So, when it is this apparent...wonder where the refusal to change comes from...or can he just not change as he has swung this way since he was in high school...either way, he will either be the biggest embarassment in MLB history if he stays through his deal or they will negotiate a buyout and he can become a free agent. 

He can change, doesn’t want to change. Simple as that.

20 minutes ago, Roy Firestone said:

In my opinion, Buck's insistence to not only sign Chris long term, but to actually have the Orioles bid against themselves in acquiring him... is reason enough for Buck not to return.

Excuse me, but weren’t you in favor of the deal?

3 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I’m not sure I buy that.    Does he want to hit .170?    I’d think he’d be willing to try just about anything.    But it’s hard to do.

It’s hard to for Davis, you mean? I’ve seen many players adjust their stance, position in the box (open or closed), lower or raise the position of their hands. How many times did Ripken make adjustments in season?

It’s incomprehensible to me that he’s made no visible changes. I think he’s comfortable in what he’s done and is reticent to try anything new out of fear. Completely speculative on my part, but it’s not beyond the realm of possibility.

8 minutes ago, Il BuonO said:

It’s hard to for Davis, you mean? I’ve seen many players adjust their stance, position in the box (open or closed), lower or raise the position of their hands. How many times did Ripken make adjustments in season?

It’s incomprehensible to me that he’s made no visible changes. I think he’s comfortable in what he’s done and is reticent to try anything new out of fear. Completely speculative on my part, but it’s not beyond the realm of possibility.

A few months ago around the series in Atlanta, he made a change for either 1 game or 1 at bat after Palmer criticized him on TV, then dropped it. This was also around the time the "Coolbaugh" story broke.

He might just not care.

Archived