Will Chris Davis make it to 502 PA?

Aglets

Will the Orioles let Chris Davis reach 'official' legendary status?  

36 members have voted

1. 1. Does he get 502 PA before the end of the season?

• Yes
    • No

1 hour ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Bat Davis lead off until he screams for mercy.  

There are endless things to hate about this season, Davis batting leadoff to start the season for a few games was one of the most baffling and dumbfounding things Buck could have done.  In retrospect, it kind of represented what was to come for the season.

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

He's still going to get paid.  See what has happened with David Wright's retirement.  I can understand him being brought to spring training next year.  If he doesn't put up an impressive spring, which I give him a 0.001% chance of being above average, the O's should make him a bench/role player.  I can understand releasing at the end of the season too.  Running the worst mlb player out there every day and batting him 5th has to kill the spirit of the team. 

Wright is not actually retiring. Not technically. 

P.s. I don’t really think that’s what the Orioles are doing. I think they are praying hard for a miracle. 

5 hours ago, Ohfan67 said:

Maybe they want to break his spirit and induce a retirement next year. That's the only reason that makes sense. 

I've been saying since June that I HOPE they made a commitment to play him all year since we were out if it and he was getting paid anyway, to give him EVERY opportunity to show if he could get it back together and approach replacement level.   After giving him more leash than any player in history performing that badly, to give him every shot to try to turn it around in 2018,  my hope is that they decide after the season that he is unsalvagable and that they have to move on and eat the $.

Otherwise there isn't a real logical explanation for playing him full time, other than "Buck likes his guys" and "no one in the minors was beating down the door".

2 hours ago, Ohfan67 said:

Wright is not actually retiring. Not technically. 

P.s. I don’t really think that’s what the Orioles are doing. I think they are praying hard for a miracle. 

But the Mets are off the hook for some of Wright's salary because of injury insurance, right?   Unlike the O's with Davis.

4 hours ago, SteveA said:

But the Mets are off the hook for some of Wright's salary because of injury insurance, right?   Unlike the O's with Davis.

That’s what I read. But if he actually retired he wouldn’t get paid ala MacQuire years ago. I think that’s correct. 

Davis went 0 for 4 last night to lower his average to .170.   He’s 1 for 32 over his last 9 games.    Assuming he played every day the rest of the way and got 4 at bats per game, he’d need to hit .305 the rest of the way to get above .179.   Looks like the record’s going to be his.

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

Davis went 0 for 4 last night to lower his average to .170.   He’s 1 for 32 over his last 9 games.    Assuming he played every day the rest of the way and got 4 at bats per game, he’d need to hit .305 the rest of the way to get above .179.   Looks like the record’s going to be his.

0 for 4 ...…. with 4 more K's!!! (according to the boxscore) - I can't watch the games anymore! Is he up to 200 K's for the season yet?

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

DD or someone in the FO should have intervened and insisted that Buck bench Davis or platoon him or use him only for late-inning D and/or blow-out LOOGY.

Something wrong with Buck's mind. What kept the staff above him from shaking him awake?

5 minutes ago, LA2 said:

DD or someone in the FO should have intervened and insisted that Buck bench Davis or platoon him or use him only for late-inning D and/or blow-out LOOGY.

Something wrong with Buck's mind. What kept the staff above him from shaking him awake?

I think Buck’s treatment of Davis reflects the fact that the organization is hoping for some kind of Hail Mary in which Davis returns to some level of respectability and they get some small return on their remaining $92 mm for 2019-22.    The decision to abandon that hope really needs to come from above the managerial level.    And I think it won’t come until mid-2019.

Very good summary of worst batting seasons.  Chris will own it! 

Interesting how there are seasons by both Ray Oyler of the Tigers and Dal Maxvill of the Cards in the 400-500 AB seasons...both hit far less than .200 but both were SSs on teams that played in the World Series that year in 1968- Year of the Pitcher...when Denny McClain won thirty and Bob Gibson had a season long 1.12 ERA. 

Chris at .246 OBP won’t likely crack the top 10 as Hal Lanier at .222 for the Giants again in 1968 has a lock on that one. 

http://sections.maa.org/okar/papers/2015/Worth.pdf

Happened to watch the Orioles on WPIX last night and as Ken Singleton put it, Chris Davis is using the same swing and approach to the plate that the pitchers have adjusted to and until he adjust his swing to hit the up and in, down and away pitches without the uppercut swing he will not improve.

55 minutes ago, thezeroes said:

Happened to watch the Orioles on WPIX last night and as Ken Singleton put it, Chris Davis is using the same swing and approach to the plate that the pitchers have adjusted to and until he adjust his swing to hit the up and in, down and away pitches without the uppercut swing he will not improve.

Yeah, he hasn’t made adjustments anywhere as far as I can tell. Everything is exactly the same. After his benching, I thought he had lowered his hands, but the more video I watch it looks very close. If there was any change it was slight. 

16 minutes ago, Il BuonO said:

Yeah, he hasn’t made adjustments anywhere as far as I can tell. Everything is exactly the same. After his benching, I thought he had lowered his hands, but the more video I watch it looks very close. If there was any change it was slight. 

So, when it is this apparent...wonder where the refusal to change comes from...or can he just not change as he has swung this way since he was in high school...either way, he will either be the biggest embarassment in MLB history if he stays through his deal or they will negotiate a buyout and he can become a free agent. 

Archived