Will Chris Davis make it to 502 PA?

Aglets

Will the Orioles let Chris Davis reach 'official' legendary status?  

36 members have voted

1. 1. Does he get 502 PA before the end of the season?

• Yes
    • No

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Frobby said:

Well, excited might be an overstatement.   

Hast Thou no Pity?

His defense also seems to have improved recently. So he seems to have been suffering from some general ailment or condition. Wish a doctor or psychologist could figure it out.

3 minutes ago, Ohfan67 said:

Davis looks slimmer to me. Has anyone else noticed it? I didn't watch games for probably six or more weeks and when I recently tuned in it was very noticeable. My wife and I independently noted a slimmer look. What say you?

I thought the same

• 2 weeks later...

Moved up to .177 / .251 / .311  !!

If you get out a pair of binoculars you can almost see the Mendoza line!

Currently at 490 PA right now so we will be able to call this one 'official' by Thurs or Fri most likely.   Weather permitting and bla bla bla.

On September 15th, the Orioles lost to the White Sox 2-0, and to many outside observers, it probably just looked like any other Orioles loss.   

Chris Davis went 0 for 3 with a walk and 2 K's........which again, to anyone else is just par for the course for our beloved slugger with an OPS under .600.

Very few likely noted that when Davis struck out swinging in the bottom of the 2nd inning.........that was his 502nd PA for the year.   He is now officially on pace to have the worst batting average in the game's history since 1900, and perhaps the worst offensive performance (esp by a 1B) of all time.

Gentlemen, we are seeing history.   They say history is little more than a serious of moments, that flash by one after the other......meaningless experience after meaningless experience.

After this weekend.......I disagree.

48 minutes ago, Aglets said:

On September 15th, the Orioles lost to the White Sox 2-0, and to many outside observers, it probably just looked like any other Orioles loss.   

Chris Davis went 0 for 3 with a walk and 2 K's........which again, to anyone else is just par for the course for our beloved slugger with an OPS under .600.

Very few likely noted that when Davis struck out swinging in the bottom of the 2nd inning.........that was his 502nd PA for the year.   He is now officially on pace to have the worst batting average in the game's history since 1900, and perhaps the worst offensive performance (esp by a 1B) of all time.

Gentlemen, we are seeing history.   They say history is little more than a serious of moments, that flash by one after the other......meaningless experience after meaningless experience.

After this weekend.......I disagree.

But he could still get hot and get his average above .179. Sitting at .174. He will need to either get a good hitting streak going or at least a couple of multi hit games. He very briefly got above .180 on Sep 5, but since then has gone 1 for 22.

35 minutes ago, Ohfan67 said:

He's having the worst month of his season. That's pretty impressive given his season. 

Hard to believe but true.  A slash line of 159/178/182/360 for September.  One walk, one RBI and one extra base hit in September. 

How do they bring this guy back?  He has to be an absolute cancer to the younger players, no accountability at all.  Worst player ever and Buck keeps putting him out there. 

1 minute ago, Chromehill said:

Hard to believe but true.  A slash line of 159/178/182/360 for September.  One walk, one RBI and one extra base hit in September. 

How do they bring this guy back?  He has to be an absolute cancer to the younger players, no accountability at all.  Worst player ever and Buck keeps putting him out there. 

Maybe they want to break his spirit and induce a retirement next year. That's the only reason that makes sense. 

9 minutes ago, Ohfan67 said:

Maybe they want to break his spirit and induce a retirement next year. That's the only reason that makes sense. 

Two ways to go on that, keep playing him to ensure he has the worst season ever hopefully inducing him to retire or except a buyout.  Or let him rot on the bench to let him know what the next 4 years will be like to hopefully induce him to retire or except a buyout. 

A third option would be to play him at catcher and tell him to get use to it. 

2 minutes ago, Chromehill said:

Two ways to go on that, keep playing him to ensure he has the worst season ever hopefully inducing him to retire or except a buyout.  Or let him rot on the bench to let him know what the next 4 years will be like to hopefully induce him to retire or except a buyout. 

A third option would be to play him at catcher and tell him to get use to it. 

Tell him to get used to it? :-) Do you think the fans will be able to "get used to" watching Chris Davis play catcher?

Seems like the worst thing the team could do to young pitchers trying to acclimate to pitching in the majors would be playing Davis at Catcher and Tim Beckham at shortstop.

1 hour ago, Ohfan67 said:

He's still going to get paid.  See what has happened with David Wright's retirement.  I can understand him being brought to spring training next year.  If he doesn't put up an impressive spring, which I give him a 0.001% chance of being above average, the O's should make him a bench/role player.  I can understand releasing at the end of the season too.  Running the worst mlb player out there every day and batting him 5th has to kill the spirit of the team. 

Archived