Machado to the Dodgers, 5-1 deal

TonySoprano

Fairly happy with the return.  Once the reports were 5-1 last night I had a feeling it would be something like this.  Quantity over quality.  It was obvious that no teams involved were going to deal their top prospects.  Hiura, Sheffield, Verdugo all reported never offered or flat out shut down when the O's asked.  For everyone whining and moaning about the inflated reliever market from a few years ago...well, lightning doesn't strike twice. 

Happy about Diaz.  Brings skills that we need.  The rest sound like they could develop into contributors, especially Kremer and Bannon.  Pop sounds like an interesting piece, too.  Hopefully the Orioles don't botch developing these guys.

But, as one of the previous tweets goes...what'd you expect for a rental?  Should have traded him last year.  

I will miss watching Manny.  I'll be tuning into Dodgers games for sure.  

2 minutes ago, MDtransplant757 said:

So Markakis?

He's got more power potential than Markakis, plus he's right handed and has better defensive range.

I like Mitch Haniger as a comparison.  Haniger's one inch taller and a few pounds heavier... Diaz can probably fill out a bit.

58 minutes ago, Diehard_O's_Fan said:

I am really glad the Orioles got Diaz. However, I find it odd how the Manny deal was centered around a hittter instead of a pitcher. Does anyone else find that odd as well? Do the Orioles have more of a hitting problem right now instead of a pitching problem? 

I think they do.  

37 minutes ago, FlipTheBird said:

That's all well and good, but unless he presents other options/offers that were on the table or provides his own take on what the O's should have done, he's just being contrarian.

I heard the interview and he said the Orioles should have waited it out until the deadline to trade Manny. 

4 minutes ago, Woody Held said:

I think they do.  

Also a defense problem.  I wouldn't be surprised if the ERA of the entire pitching staff would be a run per game lower if they had a decent defense instead of this thing they've cobbled together this season.