Orioles to be more active in International Free Agent Market

NCRaven

• Replies 631
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

No reports of anything.  They are tight lipped, but not that tight lipped.  Reds are going nucking futs interviewing managers.  Not even any speculation about the Orioles.  

Roch did say this:

The Orioles are keeping their business out of the press, whether it involves these negotiations or their search for a president of baseball operations, which will lead to the hiring of a GM type and manager.

1 hour ago, higgybaby said:

Why don’t the O’s get more money??? This is ridiculous. 

Because they're not coming here. All this talk about the Orioles leading was always BS. If they haven't signed by now, they we're never going to anyways. Please everybody, do yourself a favor and move on. 

Why would the O’s owe the Phillies a favor because Jones vetoed a trade?  Both teams knew he had 10 & 5 rights, so there was no guarantee he would approve a trade.  So why would the Phillies feel compelled to ask the O’s to make up for that by trading them $750k of international bonus money for a player that is clearly nothing special?  That’s not how this business works, and that’s why I’m not buying that this move was done as a “favor.”  I think the O’s scouts probably had good reports on Zoellner, so they traded for him.  Normally, it wouldn’t be a big deal.  But what they gave up to get him is what makes this a big deal, because it makes very little sense.

9 minutes ago, Obando said:

Why would the O’s owe the Phillies a favor because Jones vetoed a trade?  Both teams knew he had 10 & 5 rights, so there was no guarantee he would approve a trade.  So why would the Phillies feel compelled to ask the O’s to make up for that by trading them $750k of international bonus money for a player that is clearly nothing special?  That’s not how this business works, and that’s why I’m not buying that this move was done as a “favor.”  I think the O’s scouts probably had good reports on Zoellner, so they traded for him.  Normally, it wouldn’t be a big deal.  But what they gave up to get him is what makes this a big deal, because it makes very little sense.

They may have promised the Phillies they could get Jones on board and that in turn may have caused the Phillies to not pursue someone else.

I don't know.

I do think the favor theory is more likely than trading 750K in slot money for a 23 year old in the GCL based off of merit.  Why would it take 750K to land him?  Shouldn't 250K been enough?

1 hour ago, LookitsPuck said:

Duquette looking more and more like a chump for sending 750k to the Phillies. Beyond idiotic.

The only way it makes sense if DD was told by mgmt. that they would not be willing to spend the actual full amount of dollars allocated to the international signing pool.  In that case, use it or lose it.  Still gave up too much free money for a guy who was probably going to be released. 

2 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

Saying that, it does seem like the Mesa brothers are holding out until the Marlins can come up with the amount of money the Orioles can offer. At that point it's all over.

That also tells me that even with the Orioles having more money, they'd rather not play here.   Therefore, getting more money, or having the Zoellner money back, wouldn't help.

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

I agree, and have stated previously, that the timing was horrendous even if the O's never planned to spend the 750K.

I think it was a combination of being told he couldn't spend the money and the Phillies calling in a favor because of the botched Jones trade.  (I'm not suggesting my thoughts on this are groundbreaking)

I can't explain the Phillies deal, either, but I don't understand that it was done as a favor to make up for the Jones trade,. Everyone knew that Adam had the right to refuse to be traded, so I don't understand how his decision to exercise that right created any expectation that the Orioles owed the Phillies a favor. Just doesn't make sense to me.  

Archived