Orioles to be more active in International Free Agent Market

NCRaven

2 minutes ago, Ohfan67 said:

Both! ?? Orioles fans have every right to be frustrated. I am and lose my mind about some things. I’m happy, however, that the Angelos boys and whomever they hire are likely to take the international market seriously, etc., so I have a little hope. I am not emotionally attached to these prospects because the Orioles jumped in the game so late, the players seem good but not great, etc. I have low expectations, but now have a little hope for the future. This negotiation is really from the past administration and is being conducted while they are searching for new leadership. I’ll be pleasantly surprised if something happens, but if not it’s definitely on the old guard. But I do feel your pain on most issues. I’m just chill on these prospects. 

194 page thread and now an 8 page thread on these teenagers...we are all pretty desperate here at the Hangout...lol. 

• Replies 631
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, SteveA said:

I wonder of Jack Zoellner has any idea that a bunch of hardcore Oriole fans who have never met him are really pissed off about his acquisition?

Maybe he'l get the message if he's assigned jersey #51 with whatever teams he's assigned to.  .  .  .  Lew Ford's old number. :noidea:

Two things we just need to realize,

1. We traded away some of the slot money because ownership decided how much they were willing to spend on Mesa. Just because we have the slot money, we still have to actually pay the money, and we still have to think the player is worth that. 

2. We all were hoping the Gausman trade meant more. Like we were going to for slot money, and getting rid of O’day’s salary so we could use all that for Mesa. Sorry folks, we took less of a packaged back for purely salary dump reasons. 

We wanted to believe that the O’s were going to be “in” on VVM, but that was just wishful thinking. Honestly, I’d be happy with signing Gaston.  That would be a step in the right direction. 

1 hour ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Two things we just need to realize,

1. We traded away some of the slot money because ownership decided how much they were willing to spend on Mesa. Just because we have the slot money, we still have to actually pay the money, and we still have to think the player is worth that. 

2. We all were hoping the Gausman trade meant more. Like we were going to for slot money, and getting rid of O’day’s salary so we could use all that for Mesa. Sorry folks, we took less of a packaged back for purely salary dump reasons. 

We wanted to believe that the O’s were going to be “in” on VVM, but that was just wishful thinking. Honestly, I’d be happy with signing Gaston.  That would be a step in the right direction. 

I think the O's are in on VVM, problem is he and his brother and Gaston want to sign with the Marlins.  Couple that with it would be a huge PR black eye for the Marlins if they sign elsewhere...Marlins have been busy acquiring slot money. 

Both organizations need a PR win, you could offer the whole pot of money to VVM and see if he takes it, problem is, is he worth that much money? 

Maybe the O's are waiting to hire their new employees before making the decision on VVM. 

1 hour ago, Aglets said:

Thanks for that post SteveA.

I doubt that we will miss out on VVM over $6K.    I could be wrong though.   Hopefully we get a resolution on this soon one way or the other.

Can't miss out on players that were never going to sign here in the first place. The difference in $$$$ would have to be a ridiculous overpay on the Orioles part for them to want to be here. 

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

• Elias would have to win three different bids against 29 other, how does he like to say it, "tough competitors" to get this done. It would be a pony, but I don't think we're getting a pony. A lot of O'Neill talk, but Walltimore I think Elias would have to give him a very nice contract.    As a free agent, he is Santander adjacent and if his market is so soft he needs another prove it situation, not even an assured full time job in OPACY probably would be near the bottom of the list.
    • Pivetta in 14 career starts against the Os has a 3.19 ERA and 79 IP. So basically, he averages 5 2/3 against us giving up 2 runs per start.  Feels like we always have a hard time with him, so I would definitely be in favor of that signing if anything so we don't have to face him anymore.  The last time I saw Tyler O'Neill, he was sending us home with a monstrous home run.  Good player and definitely one I would like.  I like Carson Kelly, but he doesn't have any postseason experience and O'Neill doesn't have much either....so I would like to add at least one good bat who has won some games in October before.  Hoffman was so bad in the playoffs this year that I am hesitant to add another Phillies pitcher that just spent his time in the postseason getting rocked. I am fine with trading Mounty, as I don't enjoy watching him hit anymore.   
    • I'm not sure Kelly has a ton of value. His defensive metrics are declining. His ZIPs projections for 2025 is 301 PA, .226/.306/.365 for 8 HR and 13 2Bs. Why not just keep McCann? Tyler O'Neill I can get behind. That would be a solid pickup. I would hope they can do better than Pivetta. I agree with you that Snell makes much more sense if you want to win. With Jeff Hoffman, are you paying for the last two years in Philly? Because before that he was not good. With relievers being as volatile as they are, what's the contract look like. I'd be worried about paying for 2023-2024 level performance and getting the pitcher you saw in Cincinnati in 2021-2022.   So give me McCann, O'Neill and Snell. Do what the O's do and find a cheap and effective BP arm or two off the scrap heap.  I'd be good.
    • This wouldn’t be an Angelos offseason as it would be multiple multi year commitments where the players are making 8 figures. And yes, Elias isn’t a GM likely to go nuts in FA because he knows it’s largely foolish to do so.
    • That offseason would stink, to be quite honest. And Rubenstein should be rightfully criticized if that's all it was. The O's roster would be an 84-85 win club if that's all they did.  Jeff Hoffman would be a great pickup. Nick Pivetta is a middle/back of the rotation guy and would be a big step back from Burnes.  Carson Kelly is a backup C and a lateral move to McCann. Tyler O'Neill would be a fine replacement for Santander.  They need more. A Eflin, Grayson, Pivetta, Kremer, Povich/Suarez/Rogers/McDermott rotation just isn't good enough. That's also not enough depth. You simply can't count on Rogers and his 88-89 mph fastball, nor can you count on Suarez to repeat (although he'd be a fine bullpen/depth arm as a starter).  This bullpen, even adding Hoffman, is still a liability waiting to happen.  This club needs 2 bullpen arms, 2 starters, a backup C, and at least 1 OF/DH type as well as some sort of investment in the young core by way of contract extensions. I'm sick of hearing "well it takes 2 to tango". That's balderdash. If the Royals can do it, the O's can do it. 
    • Unless there are extensions this would not be a good offseason for new ownership. Just screams Angelos approach, IMO which means Elias is more than problem. Take risks for once 
    • The Marlins lost Alcantara, Perez for the entire season, Luzardo/Garrett/Cabrera had multiple injuries. It's easy to believe things are coincidental but when you look at what so many of their key players were going through and how others had to step up, it makes a lot more sense. Most of them are also young, too.   
  • Popular Contributors