Zach Britton Appreciation Thread

TonySoprano

4 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Even if the Yankees take home a WS title this year it'll be slightly less unbearable knowing that Zach got a ring.  

Meh.   I’d rather see the Braves wIn one with Nick, the Nats wIn one with Matt, or the Dodgers wIn one with Manny.    I’m tempted to include the Mariners with Nelson, but he’s not really “ours” the way the other four were.    And I’m not including the Phillies with Jake, because he’s got his and never really contributed to the O’s, unlike the others I mentioned.    

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Frobby said:

Meh.   I’d rather see the Braves wIn one with Nick, the Nats wIn one with Matt, or the Dodgers wIn one with Manny.    I’m tempted to include the Mariners with Nelson, but he’s not really “ours” the way the other four were.    And I’m not including the Phillies with Jake, because he’s got his and never really contributed to the O’s, unlike the others I mentioned.    

Well...yeah.  Of course.

...But I was talking about Zach. :) 

1 minute ago, Moose Milligan said:

Sure did.  They're just on another planet from where we are right now.  Sure, I won't be rooting for them but if Zach gets a ring there I'd be happy for him.  I think we all would.

Well of course, but I'd  be happier if in the 13th inning of game 7 with the score tied......Boone brought in Ubaldo.

9 hours ago, TonySoprano said:

Zach Britton has only known being a part of the Orioles organization, and was drafted in 2006 .  He was the longest tenured Oriole in the system, ahead of Adam Jones, who was acquired in the February 2008 trade with Seattle.  Zach's first 3 seasons were as a starter, with an ERA of 4.771 and a record of 18-17 in 46 starts.  The Orioles traded Jim Johnson to Oakland after his 50 save season, leaving the team in need of a new closer.  Zach did not begin the 2014 season as the closer.  That title went to Tommy "Boom Boom" Hunter.   At a past Birdland Social, I asked Zach when Buck told him he'd be the new closer.  Zach's response was Buck never did.  He recorded his first save on May 15, and would record 37 saves that season, in which Baltimore won it's first division title since 1997.  2016, he was lights out, with 47 straight saves.
The Orioles face NY nine more times this season.  While I wish Zach luck in the postseason, I hope that will be short.  Sorry, Zach.

Thanks Tony. 3 for 1. I think that's pretty good. 

My favorite Zach Britton memory is from Game 3 of the 2014 ALDS.  The O's entered the 9th with a 2-0 lead.  Britton uncharacteristically gave up back to back doubles to Victor and J.D. Martinez, leaving the Tigers down 2-1 with a man on 2nd and nobody out. 

After a strikeout, Buck intentionally walked Nick Castellanos, going against the unwritten rule of never putting the winning run on base.  Britton rewarded the strategy by getting Hernan Perez to hit into a game ending double play.  That was Britton at his best--he was such a ground ball machine that Buck assumed that he'd be able to get a GIDP.  

1 hour ago, Dipper9 said:

I hope Britton helps the Yankees knock the Red Sox out of the playoffs, but I cant say I am rooting for the Yankees.  

I thought about about this... because of Zach I might root a little for the Skanks.

:embarrasedsmilie:

9 hours ago, andrewochs615 said:

Was Britton the last of the "cavalry"?  Am I missing anyone?

Matusz

Tillman

Arrieta

Britton 

Gotta say the Cavalry turned out terrifically, even if one of turned it on for someone else.

Matusz -- He had the most disappointing career, but was a superb young starter for a season and a half.  He was a dominant LOOGY the September we got back to the playoffs for the first time in 100 years, then gave us one more decent season in relief.  At #4 overall, we wanted more.  I maintained unusually high hope for this guy, even down to a year prior to his release.

Tillman --  Very solid but not spectacular when we needed very solid most.  The best pitcher during the most recent run.  Wheels fell off last year, but he was a very good experience overall.

Arrieta -- Figured it out, won a Cy Young and became a World Series hero.  Too bad it wasn't with us.  Really too bad.  

Britton -- Dominated with one pitch at the end of our bullpen for many years.  Arguably deserved a Cy Young.  Was painfully not used in a one-game playoff.  We couldn't ask for much more.  No reason to switch him out of his role, but he could have been a good starter again.  Started his career on fire.  I remember him taking a shutout into the tenth against Seattle.  Bleeds Orange.

I'll take these results again, but it would be nice to keep Arrieta this time.

Archived