Zach Britton Appreciation Thread

TonySoprano

Zach Britton has only known being a part of the Orioles organization, and was drafted in 2006 .  He was the longest tenured Oriole in the system, ahead of Adam Jones, who was acquired in the February 2008 trade with Seattle.  Zach's first 3 seasons were as a starter, with an ERA of 4.771 and a record of 18-17 in 46 starts.  The Orioles traded Jim Johnson to Oakland after his 50 save season, leaving the team in need of a new closer.  Zach did not begin the 2014 season as the closer.  That title went to Tommy "Boom Boom" Hunter.   At a past Birdland Social, I asked Zach when Buck told him he'd be the new closer.  Zach's response was Buck never did.  He recorded his first save on May 15, and would record 37 saves that season, in which Baltimore won it's first division title since 1997.  2016, he was lights out, with 47 straight saves.
The Orioles face NY nine more times this season.  While I wish Zach luck in the postseason, I hope that will be short.  Sorry, Zach.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Best wishes to him.  This is tough for me, as I always root against the MFY, but I don't think I can bring myself to root against Britton.  Damn.  I hope his health holds out, he pitches well, the MFY lose early in the playoffs, and he makes a lot of money this offseason.

One of the top two closers in the history of the team.   A great guy, and for about a year and a half he was pitching at a level that few in the history of the game have ever reached.   Over 12 years in the organization, longer than any other player I believe.

In the past week we've dealt Manny and Zach, two guys who for some period of time did things at a historically good level.   Manny's defense at 3rd and Britton's utter domination of hitters during his save streak are things we are never likely to see again.

Zach will be remembered for his career 1.750 OPS.  ?

His 2016 season is truly on the short list of greatest relief seasons ever. He was incredible to watch from the moment he became the closer until his health issues began last year. 

I think I was mentally prepared for Manny to go, but not with Zach. I guess seeing him helping to nail down Yankee wins for the next two months or into the postseason will be hard, but glad we had him for as long as we did. Some truly dizzying heights from this man and one truly superhuman season. 

Took a few pictures along the way. This one of the better ones from out in the cheap seats. 

DSCN3375

“We came in for the rain delay and obviously I looked at my phone,” he said following tonight’s 7-6 win over the Red Sox and the trade that brought pitchers Dillon Tate, Josh Rogers and Cody Carroll to the Orioles. “It had just blown up with missed calls and texts. But there was nothing official at the time. They were still going through some stuff, so not until the game was over did I talk to Buck and Dan and they kind of let me know what was going on. When it became official they let me know. I’ve already spoken to (Brian) Cashman and (Aaron) Boone, so it was good to talk to them.

I still think that in 2014, with the coaching of Wallace and Chiti, Zach could have been successful even if he had remained a starting pitcher.   But he sure was a terrific reliever.     Like others, I hope he doesn’t have too much success for New York.    He can go elsewhere this winter and then I’ll root harder for him again.  

Archived