Orioles Deal Gausman/O'Day to Braves - Schoop to Brewers

weams

Just now, Cy Bundy said:

I’ve watched a guy who has no defense behind him pitch well in the AL East at a limited financial burden. 

We give away 1st for Ubaldo and Gallardo and gifted arms who have succeeded in the AL East away for nearly nothing. In all likelihood we will net somewhere around a cumulative zero WAR from our ATL haul. 

Again, FIP worse than ERA. The O's defense and Gausman's lack of progress as a starter aren't as entwined as you're making them out to be.

2 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Doesn't look like anyone was willing to do that.  I don't know how many teams ate salaries of undesirable players in order to get a stud prospect back this year.  Of all the trades I've read about, I can't think of one where a Davis/Trumbo type went along with an A+ prospect.  I think what you've outlined is more of a message board wet dream than what actually happens in reality.  

I have absolutely no point what you're making here? 

1.  Most teams that would need to get Davis' contract off the books, aren't dumb enough to sign him to that contract, so it's not on the books.  Most teams capable of signing Davis, aren't sending his contract to you with prospects, because they don't need you to take on his contract.  Think the Phillies with Howard.  They never would have dumped his salary on anybody for prospects, because they could afford to keep it on the books if that meant they got to keep their prospects.  

2.  What does any of this have to do with the Orioles dumping O'Day's salary at the expense of prospects?  Can you point to me teams that go into prospect rebuild mode and dump salary at the expense of prospects? 

Gausman is Scott Erickson.  I liked Scott Erickson. But not enough to cry over him.

Read the scouting reports on the guys they got from the Braves. They're not blue chippers, but they all seem like projectable major leaguers. 

We saved a little money and got the Volvo instead of the Porsche. But there's a shiny new Cuban Lambo parked in a garage in the DR that we suddenly have money to afford.... 

• Upvote 1
  • Like 2

Just now, Reboulet'sStache said:

I have absolutely no point what you're making here? 

1.  Most teams that would need to get Davis' contract off the books, aren't dumb enough to sign him to that contract, so it's not on the books.  Most teams capable of signing Davis, aren't sending his contract to you with prospects, because they don't need you to take on his contract.  Think the Phillies with Howard.  They never would have dumped his salary on anybody for prospects, because they could afford to keep it on the books if that meant they got to keep their prospects.  

2.  What does any of this have to do with the Orioles dumping O'Day's salary at the expense of prospects?  Can you point to me teams that go into prospect rebuild mode and dump salary at the expense of prospects? 

Ok, you're talking about trading for teams stud prospects by taking on bad contracts in return, correct?  

The more I look at it the more I think the Brewers trade was great. 

Carmona is a stud SS. 

Ortiz was a former 1st round pick that has 4 pitches. Already in AA. 

Villar has been worth 1.8 WAR this year. Even before the trades he’d be our 2nd best player WAR wise. 

Three weeks ago this would’ve been laughed at. Schoop is a decent upgrade over Villar but we get Villar through 2021.  

I honestly don't understand the Gausman trade. None of these guys are top prospects for Atlanta. We save $9 million or so with O'Day but I don't get why we wouldn't just hold onto Gasuman until the offseason if that is the best we could get.

The Schoop trade seems reasonable.

This is about right. Almost everyone on here overvalued these two especially Gausman. His FIP has been lower than his ERA two years in a row now. He had a 1.50 WHIP last year which wayy below average and downright horrible for a starting pitcher. This year, it's closing in on 1.40. He has been a different pitcher overall these last two years. Maybe he finds it again once he gets out of this mess in Baltimore, but most folks on here were expecting way too much.

1 minute ago, pwhite said:

I honestly don't understand the Gausman trade. None of these guys are top prospects for Atlanta. We save $9 million or so with O'Day but I don't get why we wouldn't just hold onto Gasuman until the offseason if that is the best we could get.

The Schoop trade seems reasonable.

When you look at the returns for rental Players Manny and Britton this is crazy.  Why would you trade this low?

• Upvote 2