Orioles Deal Gausman/O'Day to Braves - Schoop to Brewers

weams

15 minutes ago, ChuckS said:

My prediction is that not a single player coming back to us from Atlanta is able to break the top 20. 

So a guy that was in the best organization in baseball ranked 14th in it will now not be in the top 20 in our slightly above average system.  How does that work.

5 minutes ago, ISU94 said:

What? Lol.

JCE and Cumberland def are.

I would include JCE in our top 25; but not top 20.  Cumberland... about 30.  Zimmerman might be a pleasant surprise - being a lefty starter who dominated high A.  It'll be interesting to see how he does in Bowie. 

I'll agree with those who say if the Atlanta trade nets us VVM, that could make a big difference in how we evaluate the Atl trade, and there's hope in Carmona that he could make a difference in the Schoop trade.  But we pretty much have to depend on those 2 things happening to make today a good day for the future of the O's.  

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Frobby said:

If O’Day was the last piece to this deal, then yes.    

Right, it could have gone that way with the O's saying they are not happy with the offer, the Braves saying its final as far as prospects are concerned and the O's ask if they would eat some salary for us in the form of O'day to complete the deal.  

• Upvote 1

The age/upside mix of this portfolio does kind of get me to - is the next core Carmona/Encarnacion/VVM/2019 pick 1-1?

Is there even a Sisco/Mullins/Mountcastle/Diaz good team, or will their best years go by while we're sorting out which of the minor league pitchers are any good?

1 minute ago, Ruzious said:

I would include JCE in our top 25; but not top 20.  Cumberland... about 30.  Zimmerman might be a pleasant surprise - being a lefty starter who dominated high A.  It'll be interesting to see how he does in Bowie. 

I'll agree with those who say if the Atlanta trade nets us VVM, that could make a big difference in how we evaluate the Atl trade, and there's hope in Carmona that he could make a difference in the Schoop trade.  But we pretty much have to depend on those 2 things happening to make today a good day for the future of the O's.  

You will see them put way higher.

JCE was 14 in a loaded Braves system. 

Also, we got a guy who is described as having one of the highest ceilings in the Braves farm system. Given that they have a bevy of TOR arms and All-star caliber players, that is high praise. We have solid depth, now we need to look for star power. Encarnacion meets that criteria. I believe @Luke-OH was discussing the need for ceiling over floor in these trades, we went that route with Ortiz, Carmona, Encarnacion.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

Then you hold off and trade him after the season. I said all along they should trade Gausman and Schoop IF they get the right offer. It wasn't a Machado / Britton situation where they had to be traded now. 

I don’t think the Orioles forced the trade with the Brewers. 

So I missed all of the fun driving to the shore.

Anybody questioning the Orioles front office now is nuts. I think it's obvious that we are committed to a full rebuild.

Looking at the deals 

Gausman and ODay and 2.5 million slot moneyfor #14 Encarcion #30 Cumberland, RP Phillips, and SP Zimmerman. On the surface it's a pretty good deal. I would've liked to get somebody in their top ten. Encarcion looks promising, the MLB scouting call Cumberland a bat first catching prospect with decent enough defense to stick at catcher. However they rate is bat and power at 45 each. Not really impressed with that piece. Phillips is ready now to pitch in the pen. Not sure I like it either. Zimmerman is 23 at AA after spending the 1st half at class A+. His K/BB to ip looks solid as does his era. The 2.5 in slot money is a bid deal if we are getting Mesa at all costs. I like dumping ODay but think we could've moved himfor value later and got better value. (Don't love it but don't hate it either)

Schoop for Ortiz #7, Carmona #14, and Villar who is a utility type that they can plug in now in place of Schoop. A solid deal but I'd rather have gotten a third player deeper in he minors and called up Tejada to play 2nd. (Really like the minor league pieces,but feel like we wasted some return on Villar)

3 minutes ago, bpilktree67 said:

So a guy that was in the best organization in baseball ranked 14th in it will now not be in the top 20 in our slightly above average system.  How does that work.

It's a valid question, but I think MLB.com rated him too highly considering his terrible SO & W rates in the SALLY League, but he does have long-range potential and defintely passes the eye test.  He's toolsy.  

2 minutes ago, bpilktree67 said:

His horrible K/BB ratio at such a low level will concern Luke IMO.  Also, reports are that he is going to have to move off SS.  He probably lands in the 15-20 range.  I was being a little sensational.  I expect the other three to be outside the top 20.    

11 minutes ago, ChuckS said:

His horrible K/BB ratio at such a low level will concern Luke IMO.  Also, reports are that he is going to have to move off SS.  He probably lands in the 15-20 range.  I was being a little sensational.  I expect the other three to be outside the top 20.    

.313 OBP this year in A ball on top 13 BB/100 Ks .. what's not to love.

17 minutes ago, esmd said:

Man, are you being intentionally obtuse?  It's really not that hard to understand what he's saying.  No O'Day in deal = better prospect return.  Better prospect return = faster and better rebuild.  Faster and better rebuild = return to winning faster.  Having O'Day on the team next year wouldn't have made us better or worse.  You just let him play out his deal like Trumbo and then move on.