Orioles Deal Gausman/O'Day to Braves - Schoop to Brewers

weams

18 minutes ago, Thato'sfan said:

Also, we got a guy who is described as having one of the highest ceilings in the Braves farm system. Given that they have a bevy of TOR arms and All-star caliber players, that is high praise. We have solid depth, now we need to look for star power. Encarnacion meets that criteria. I believe @Luke-OH was discussing the need for ceiling over floor in these trades, we went that route with Ortiz, Carmona, Encarnacion.

This is my feeling as well we had lots of nice talent with somewhat low floor.  We got some star power type players in return.  Comparing what TB got to what we got is two different things.  The got major league ready guys with low floor but not high ceiling.  We got higher ceiling guys but in lower minors and are building for 2021. Carmona and Encarnacion are not top 100 guys now but are guys that can easily project there down the line.  If we had signed these guys when they were international free agents the board would have loved them.

Just now, Roll Tide said:

You'd be wrong then! Encarcion was the Braves number 14 prospect. Their top 9 are all top 100 players. I think he will fall somewhere between 5 and 10.

Jesus, I've already responded to that twice.  I think he's overrated by MLB.com.  

1 minute ago, atomic said:

Isu94 never saw another team prospect he didn't like. 

Signed at age 18 out of the Dominican Republic for just $10,000 in May 2016, Encarnacion had a relatively non-descript pro debut in the Dominican Summer League that year. Encarnacion's United States debut in '17, however, which saw him play in both the Gulf Coast and Appalachian Leagues, put him much more firmly on the prospect radar, and he made a nice transition to full-season ball in '18.

Tall, lean and athletic, Encarnacion screams projection. At the plate, he's shown the ability to hit the ball hard to all fields from the right side. His impressive hand-eye coordination allows him to find the barrel consistently, though he'll have to improve his plate discipline to continue hitting for average. That will also allow him to tap into his raw power, which is sure to show up even more as he fills out his 6-foot-3 frame. Encarnacion played some shortstop initially after signing, but he's settled in at third base, where his arm and defensive actions have the chance to work long-term.

Encarnacion is still an unfinished product, but his upside is undeniable and he's already flashing pretty impressive tools. With some patience, he could develop into a very solid player at the hot corner.

http://m.mlb.com/prospects/2018?list=atl

Yeah, emphasis on projection all over his report. Let's kill a guy who is super young with loud tools because of his obp and k rate in A ball.

1 minute ago, ISU94 said:

Signed at age 18 out of the Dominican Republic for just $10,000 in May 2016, Encarnacion had a relatively non-descript pro debut in the Dominican Summer League that year. Encarnacion's United States debut in '17, however, which saw him play in both the Gulf Coast and Appalachian Leagues, put him much more firmly on the prospect radar, and he made a nice transition to full-season ball in '18.

Tall, lean and athletic, Encarnacion screams projection. At the plate, he's shown the ability to hit the ball hard to all fields from the right side. His impressive hand-eye coordination allows him to find the barrel consistently, though he'll have to improve his plate discipline to continue hitting for average. That will also allow him to tap into his raw power, which is sure to show up even more as he fills out his 6-foot-3 frame. Encarnacion played some shortstop initially after signing, but he's settled in at third base, where his arm and defensive actions have the chance to work long-term.

Encarnacion is still an unfinished product, but his upside is undeniable and he's already flashing pretty impressive tools. With some patience, he could develop into a very solid player at the hot corner.

http://m.mlb.com/prospects/2018?list=atl

Yeah, emphasis on projection all over his report. Let's kill a guy who is super young with loud tools because of his obp and k rate in A ball.

My concerns are the 38% strikeout rate and the 3% walk rate this season.

For people hating on Encarnacion, Ryan Mountcastle hit for a lower average and virtually the same OBP. Encarnacion has had an OPS 30 points higher than Mountcastle did in class A. Encarnacion has a plus arm so he will stick at third and is similarly athletic/built. If Mountcastle had Encarnacion's arm, he would probably be a top 20 prospect. So, don't get too caught up on prospect lists and organizational ranking. This guy has elite potential.

• Upvote 1

49 minutes ago, Finisher said:

Meadows has an .800s OPS in the bigs this year. The hell are some of you people talking about.

Basically got 4 non prospects to dump O'Day's salary.

Now, yes, the 2.5 million could land us VVM so I guess the jury is still out.

Where will Meadows play? His Defense is worse than his offense. He's actually sub replacement level this season. I bet when Tony Bautista hit all those HR's and RBI's in Baltimore that year, you thought he had a good season.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Roll Tide said:

My concerns are the 38% strikeout rate and the 3% walk rate this season.

He was better in that regard in the first half, has seemingly sold out for power in his past 125 at bats. He has succeeded, as he has doubled his HR rate(while walking less and striking out a bit more). As he matures, his discipline will improve. He reminds me of Mountcastle's bat potential, with much better defensive potential.