Jonathan Villar- Our new 2B?

Greg Pappas

21 minutes ago, FlipTheBird said:

He's our second baseman for now and probably for next year, too. He's under team control for a couple of more years. Let him play, hope he returns to close to 2016 form and flip him somewhere down the road. Easy.

That could very well be the plan - and a good one.  And if he doesn't return to form, he's still doing the job as a place-holder for a team in the early stages of rebuilding.  I was skeptical at first, but after reading everybody's comments (including Luke's in another thread), I see him as a very smart pickup for the O's.      

4 minutes ago, Dark Helmet said:

I'm hoping he can stick at 3B. OF is pretty full, especially if they get Mesa. He looks like he's going to be a premium bat, so they'll find room.

Oh they def will, his value just takes a hit if he's just at 1B so I'd prefer to see him elsewhere. Fingers crossed he keeps improving at 3B.

1 hour ago, Ruzious said:

He didn't just steal 60 plus bases, he had an OPS+ of 117 in 2016 - at age 25.  62 steals and 60 XBH's and 79 walks.  I'd have thought he was one of the top young assets in baseball.  Since then, his OPS+ fell to 71 last year and has rebounded a little to 84 this season.  Yeah, maybe we get lucky, and he does regain some value.  As long as he's healthy, he should be starting.  

Sounds like the pitcher version of Kevin Gausman: put it together for 1 season, but that was a few years ago and now he's kind of mediocre.

22 minutes ago, Ruzious said:

That could very well be the plan - and a good one.  And if he doesn't return to form, he's still doing the job as a place-holder for a team in the early stages of rebuilding.  I was skeptical at first, but after reading everybody's comments (including Luke's in another thread), I see him as a very smart pickup for the O's.      

Yeah, he fills a spot and has some upside. I know some guys here have advocated trading everyone and their brother, but the truth of the matter is that 25 guys still have to take the field 162 times in 2019 and 2020, and many of the prospects we have in the system are 1-2 full years away from being ready to be those guys.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, FlipTheBird said:

He's our second baseman for now and probably for next year, too. He's under team control for a couple of more years. Let him play, hope he returns to close to 2016 form and flip him somewhere down the road. Easy.

This.

3 minutes ago, Roy Firestone said:

I just spoke to Jonathan Schoop, literally last hour at Dodger Stadium. What surprised him was trading for a second baseman who is OLDER than he is. While Jon isn't angry or sad, he is surprised at what the Orioles got back for him. As in, underwhelmed(my words). I am underwhelmed too.

Villar is the 3rd piece in the return, if you look at him as the centerpiece, of course it'd be fair to be underwhelmed. 

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, Roy Firestone said:

I just spoke to Jonathan Schoop, literally last hour at Dodger Stadium. What surprised him was trading for a second baseman who is OLDER than he is. While Jon isn't angry or sad, he is surprised at what the Orioles got back for him. As in, underwhelmed(my words). I am underwhelmed too.

What you and Schoop may not understand is he wasn’t traded for Villar. Schoop was traded for the other two. It isn’t like the Os are competing and thought they should upgrade second by trading for Villar. 

19 minutes ago, sevastras said:

What you and Schoop may not understand is he wasn’t traded for Villar. Schoop was traded for the other two. It isn’t like the Os are competing and thought they should upgrade second by trading for Villar. 

Traded for the other two and to save salary. Schoop's this year is 8.5 million, Villar's 2.55 million.

• Upvote 1