Jonathan Villar- Our new 2B?

Greg Pappas

4 hours ago, Dark Helmet said:

I'm really wondering why the Brewers traded Villar. He looks like a much more exciting and polished hitter than Schoop. He brings way more to the table. Villar looks exactly like they type of player a playoff team wants. I didn't see much of Villar before he became an Oriole. Maybe being traded motivated him?

4 hours ago, Aristotelian said:

Brewers message boards starting to think they got a raw deal.

http://forum.brewerfan.net/viewtopic.php?f=63&t=37322&start=340

A bunch of comments about Villar being in Counsell's "doghouse" for no particular reason. Sounds like possibly a Kim type of situation.

Let’s judge the deal based on five days.   That’s a really sound way to judge a trade.   Just look at how indicative Tim Beckham’s first five games were.   Or first 30 games for that matter.    

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Let’s judge the deal based on five days.   That’s a really sound way to judge a trade.   Just look at how indicative Tim Beckham’s first five games were.   Or first 30 games for that matter.    

You are taking a couple posts out of context of the whole thread. I liked the trade when it was announced based on Villar's body of work, not fiv days. As I said, he has a chance to stick at 2B for a while, and I would not be surprised if he outproduces Schoop straight up. I like the trade even better now.

• Upvote 1

I posted on one of the sites on here that a scout from an NL team said when the Schoop trade was made that Villar was a more complete player and better than Schoop. It's obvious watching him play he looks like an All-Star type player. Is he the most complete player on the team right now? YES!  He does it all. DD and his aides put together some great trades. They robbed the Brewers and Yankees I think and the Gausman deal will turn out to be a bargain soon along with the Manny deal. 

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

I love Schoop but Villar brings long term/better chance to stick at 2B and is superior in that regard. He has a year longer in control while being cheaper. Takes pitches and has speed on the base path, etc.

Schoop def has the better arm and more power, but tbh Villar may be a better option for this team long term and he happened to be the 3rd, yes 3rd, piece in the deal behind two strong prospects for the rebuild. Idk why some here act like it was a weak return. Going to guess because there wasn't a top 100 prospect in it but man does it look like a damn good deal.

Villar may not fit here long term and he won't continue to perform like he has thus far. But he has proven, when healthy, to be a very solid 2b. To get that and two good young prospects got a guy expiring in a year and a couple months...pretty darn solid.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, ISU94 said:

Villar has a year longer in control while being cheaper.

That extra year is pretty big. Very unlikely he doesn't have trade value in both 2019 and 2020. He's a feast or famine type hitter so if he's feasting at either deadline, could bring back a solid prospect. Schoop deal then becomes Ortiz/Carmona/Prospect from Villar. Key with Villar is being healthy and playing regularly (he was banged up past couple years and getting jerked around with playing time this year). Had him in a keeper league, from May to August 2016 he was insanely productive. Then he got over aggressive and homerun happy and it carried over into 2017.

Will he help other players step up their game?  Listening to other players talk about him and watching their body language in the dugout when he scores or does something it's like they are even wowed by him. It's like he's in the wrong dugout/uniform.  This is the kind of player we have needed for years. Now the next step is to bring Valera up and platoon Beckham.  The videos of Valera at Norfolk showed him making diving stops and throws on the ground to get hitters out from SS.  The V combo at SS and 2B could be special for us. Villar certainly brings added energy to the dugout and lineup.

7 hours ago, Frobby said:

Well the first 30 days of the Beckham trade are “important” because we made the trade because we were going for it, and the dude proceeded to put up a 1.062 OPS in August. So I’d say he did his part.

Schoop is going to have to help lead Milwaukee to the playoffs this year and have a pretty good year next year for this trade to make any sense for Milwaukee. Villar already has been worth 0.4 more WAR this year and we have him for 2 years longer than we would’ve had Schoop. 

We were all worried that Vllar was done. Like Beckham, he was just in the doghouse, or he was hurt. 

I’m rooting for the Brewers and Schoop, but I don’t think we got anywhere short of a great deal. 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, ISU94 said:

I love Schoop but Villar brings long term/better chance to stick at 2B and is superior in that regard. He has a year longer in control while being cheaper. Takes pitches and has speed on the base path, etc.

Schoop def has the better arm and more power, but tbh Villar may be a better option for this team long term and he happened to be the 3rd, yes 3rd, piece in the deal behind two strong prospects for the rebuild. Idk why some here act like it was a weak return. Going to guess because there wasn't a top 100 prospect in it but man does it look like a damn good deal.

Villar may not fit here long term and he won't continue to perform like he has thus far. But he has proven, when healthy, to be a very solid 2b. To get that and two good young prospects got a guy expiring in a year and a couple months...pretty darn solid.

For the record, I liked the trade.   I’m just not going to do ex post analysis based on a few days of results.