Orioles IFA Signings Thread

ISU94

5 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

If they sign VVM and still have 2.5M left I won't be upset.  They traded for slot money that they ended up not needing.  I don't want them to pay him more just to use up the money.

Now if they don't land VVM...

Hope they do sign him but if not. Well then what can one do? 

4 hours ago, TGO said:

No recent news on Sandy Gaston (since the Marlins pulled their offer/denied ever making one)?

I was wondering the same thing and no clue how international signings work.

I would assume Gaston being one of top prospects (even with the Marlins incident) would have signed by now. Why haven't the O's or another team  just throw up 500K (or under 1M) to see if he bites?  Why is VVM holding up signing him or other big prospects? Am I missing something here.

34 minutes ago, bobmc said:

Well - I can think of what a lot of folks around here will do on this message board - just saying.  But not @Moose Milligan!  :leaving:

I'll be apoplectic if they went to all that length to horde international signing money and don't get VVM.  I am not saying VVM is the savior, but if that's your guy...better get him.

But I'm just overall happy they're scouting and signing in south america.  Some of these guys will make it, plenty more won't, but I'd much rather see them spend money in this fashion rather than on guys like Rasmus and Tillman. 

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Moose Milligan said:

I'll be apoplectic if they went to all that length to horde international signing money and don't get VVM.  I am not saying VVM is the savior, but if that's your guy...better get him.

But I'm just overall happy they're scouting and signing in south america.  Some of these guys will make it, plenty more won't, but I'd much rather see them spend money in this fashion rather than on guys like Rasmus and Tillman. 

Oh I had too. 

39 minutes ago, cman.dc said:

I was wondering the same thing and no clue how international signings work.

I would assume Gaston being one of top prospects (even with the Marlins incident) would have signed by now. Why haven't the O's or another team  just throw up 500K (or under 1M) to see if he bites?  Why is VVM holding up signing him or other big prospects? Am I missing something here.

No clue either but from what everyone says, teams have to cozy up to the boscones until one team gains the advantage and a deal is struck.  If the deal falls through, as it did for the Marlins, then teams have to decide if they want to do the same.  There must be red flags up.  The O's have to begin their "due diligence", if they decide they want to try to sign him.   This might take some time since they haven't been there.

But, I have no idea what the problem with Gaston was and if he is from DR or not.

Edited by bobmc
Don't know details behind Gaston non-signing

8 minutes ago, bobmc said:

No clue either but from what everyone says, teams have to cozy up to the boscones until one team gains the advantage and a deal is struck.  If the deal falls through, as it did for the Marlins, then teams have to decide if they want to do the same.  There must be red flags up.  The O's have to begin their "due diligence", if they decide they want to try to sign him.   This might take some time since they haven't been there.

But, I have no idea what the problem with Gaston was and if he is from DR or not.

He's Cuban Bob.