Orioles IFA Signings Thread

ISU94

I just think if Roch is going to report that signings are expected to be announced on a certain day and they are not, he should follow it up with some sort of explanation.  Otherwise, he should expect to get questions about it on Twitter.  Us die hards take this stuff seriously, and we get excited about an expected announcement regarding international signings, which has been almost nonexistent over the past several years, save a few notable ones here and there.  The promise of entering the international market is exciting, and part of what makes fans feel positive about the future/rebuilding efforts.  So don’t get our hopes up by reporting that an announcement is expected to be made on a certain day and then, when it doesn’t happen, go silent on us.  

Duquette is culpable as well, considering the number of times he’s has publicly stated the O’s were hopeful to announce several international signings within a week of making the initial statement the day he traded Manny.  Yet, here we are 3 weeks later and still nothing.  The point is, don’t make proclamations if you can’t back them up, because all it does is set expectations for the fans that truly care.  And if you can’t deliver on the expectation you set, at least provide some sort of explanation for the delay or change in plans, rather than crickets.

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, Obando said:

I just think if Roch is going to report that signings are expected to be announced on a certain day and they are not, he should follow it up with some sort of explanation.  Otherwise, he should expect to get questions about it on Twitter.  Us die hards take this stuff seriously, and we get excited about an expected announcement regarding international signings, which has been almost nonexistent over the past several years, save a few notable ones here and there.  The promise of entering the international market is exciting, and part of what makes fans feel positive about the future/rebuilding efforts.  So don’t get our hopes up by reporting that an announcement is expected to be made on a certain day and then, when it doesn’t happen, go silent on us.  

Duquette is culpable as well, considering the number of times he’s has publicly stated the O’s were hopeful to announce several international signings within a week of making the initial statement the day he traded Manny.  Yet, here we are 3 weeks later and still nothing.  The point is, don’t make proclamations if you can’t back them up, because all it does is set expectations for the fans that truly care.  And if you can’t deliver on the expectation you set, at least provide some sort of explanation for the delay or change in plans, rather than crickets.

Only a very small percentage of fans are even aware that Duquette said we are signing several guys and that then the signings haven’t been announced yet.    I’m not putting this on my top 100 list of things to worry about.    Now if we actually get news that some of these signings fell through, I’ll worry.     But since we don’t even know who they were or what they were signing for, I’m not sure even that would matter too much to me.

On 8/11/2018 at 1:12 PM, Greg Pappas said:

Google Translator says, "There are no pretexts when you go behind your goal Listening to the skinny of Gold" ? :P

Flaco de Oro is the nickname of a famous Mexican composer, Augustin Lara.  I'm guessing he's listening to him to chill out because he's starting to get frustrated that he's falling behind schedule with his goals. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yHaqaIM1qLU

On 8/14/2018 at 2:02 PM, NCRaven said:

What the hey?  Thought there were announcements coming over a week ago.  Crickets from the Warehouse.

I’m starting to think that they we just acquired the extra intl slot money to trade to he Yankees, along with some of our slot money, so that they can sign VVM. We will likely get back a top 25-40 org prospects from them. Also, we won’t have to spend the actual $5.5 million. 

Or....

We’re VVM or hoping some unexpected player becomes eligible like from Asia. 

My money is on the first option. Having intl slot money is “an asset” and we’re going to mortgage it off to NYY for as much value as we can get. It’s too late in the game this year with all the other prospects gone to spend it this year. 

2 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I’m starting to think that they we just acquired the extra intl slot money to trade to he Yankees, along with some of our slot money, so that they can sign VVM. We will likely get back a top 25-40 org prospects from them. Also, we won’t have to spend the actual $5.5 million. 

Or....

We’re VVM or hoping some unexpected player becomes eligible like from Asia. 

My money is on the first option. Having intl slot money is “an asset” and we’re going to mortgage it off to NYY for as much value as we can get. It’s too late in the game this year with all the other prospects gone to spend it this year. 

The Yankees are maxed out on how much international slot money they can acquire.

4 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

The Yankees are maxed out on how much international slot money they can acquire.

They day that we can say that about us, will be the day that we know we’re actually committed to a rebuild. 

There probably isn’t a direct relation, but have you seen the GCL team?  It’s embarrassing. 13-32. Then look at the roster. 

https://www.baseball-reference.com/register/team.cgi?id=e6509ff4

The Yankees have two GCL teams (notice the names)

https://www.baseball-reference.com/register/team.cgi?id=6811643c

https://www.baseball-reference.com/register/team.cgi?id=0b6afcfb

We’re a joke. Signing VVM isn’t going to change that. Look at all the depth of intl players the Yankees have. Not including players signed this year. We’re 75+ intl prospects behind them when you compare system to system. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, sportsfan8703 said:

They day that we can say that about us, will be the day that we know we’re actually committed to a rebuild. 

There probably isn’t a direct relation, but have you seen the GCL team?  It’s embarrassing. 13-32. Then look at the roster. 

https://www.baseball-reference.com/register/team.cgi?id=e6509ff4

The Yankees have two GCL teams (notice the names)

https://www.baseball-reference.com/register/team.cgi?id=6811643c

https://www.baseball-reference.com/register/team.cgi?id=0b6afcfb

We’re a joke. Signing VVM isn’t going to change that. Look at all the depth of intl players the Yankees have. Not including players signed this year. We’re 75+ intl prospects behind them when you compare system to system. 

I too think it would be beneficial to have the maximum number of farm teams and spend money on getting some kids to fill them.  The Orioles could have about 75 more minor leaguers than they do.  The chances of finding nuggets increases that way.