Mullins is with the Orioles! (edited)

terpoh

3 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

You know how it is here.  A new guy starts off hot and people  comp them to stars, they struggle and they are AAAA players at best.

Yes.   But also, you don’t have to be a 30 WAR player to be a key piece to a team for a few years.   

• Replies 466
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

You know how it is here.  A new guy starts off hot and people  comp them to stars, they struggle and they are AAAA players at best.

When thethey struggle, they are AAA players or should be DFA'ed.

When a player has 2 good games, break out the chisels for another statue.

Even talk radio has gotten that way around here now with this team.

Wieters 2.0?  When the team stinks this bad, lots of people are looking for saviors(switch hitting Jesus, two Wieters references!). I don’t see Mullins as the top OF prospect to be playing for the Os by next season. I do see him as a better option in left than what we have seen the past couple of years but not the next Mookie Betts. I do expect a pretty exceptional OF in the next year or two with a player or two that could be packaged for pitching or middle infield help. 

I love the fact that he's walked six times already (49 PAs). That might be a stat that he can approximate more in the long run than the power hitting. Interesting that he's only attempted one steal after going 21 for 22 at Bowie and Norfolk this year. Maybe he'll be off to the races once he stops hitting so many homers and doubles!

He has certainly had a great start as far as numbers are concerned. But we all know nothing will be certain until that next wave of playing time starts where he is game planned. That won’t be until next season. It is nice though to have a guy at the top of the order with potential. I am slightly skeptical whether his OBP will be high enough for him to stay there at an average to above level.  I look forward to seeing if he can!

12 hours ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

When thethey struggle, they are AAA players or should be DFA'ed.

When a player has 2 good games, break out the chisels for another statue.

Even talk radio has gotten that way around here now with this team.

I've lived on other states.  All fans are the same.  Orioles fans are no different from Yankees fans (we're just sadder).

3 hours ago, LA2 said:

I love the fact that he's walked six times already (49 PAs). That might be a stat that he can approximate more in the long run than the power hitting. Interesting that he's only attempted one steal after going 21 for 22 at Bowie and Norfolk this year. Maybe he'll be off to the races once he stops hitting so many homers and doubles!

I've noticed that when Mullins gets on first, he takes a big lead and looks like he's going to run, draws some throws and then stays put. I wonder whether he's been told not to try to steal in order to avoid injury, and to concentrate on his hitting and fielding, so that we won't see much of that part of his game until next season.

I'd like to see him bunt against Sabathia tonight. 

Just now, spiritof66 said:

I've noticed that when Mullins gets on first, he takes a big lead and looks like he's going to run, draws some throws and then stays put. I wonder whether he's been told not to try to steal in order to avoid injury, and to concentrate on his hitting and fielding, so that we won't see much of that part of his game until next season.

I'd like to see him bunt against Sabathia tonight. 

I am not a member of the Orioles front office or coaching staff.

?

29 minutes ago, 99ct said:

Come on, Frobby, you gotta give us some odds. Nobody is taking that bet straight-up! 

In 1977, two young Oriole newcomers got off to a fast start. In a moment of beer-fueled recklessness, I bet a friend (the first Angels fan I had ever encountered) that Billy Smith would collect 2,000 hits in his career and Eddie Murray would hit 500 home runs. We came out even. 

On 8/24/2018 at 1:33 PM, spiritof66 said:

In 1977, two young Oriole newcomers got off to a fast start. In a moment of beer-fueled recklessness, I bet a friend (the first Angels fan I had ever encountered) that Billy Smith would collect 2,000 hits in his career and Eddie Murray would hit 500 home runs. We came out even. 

o

For the first month-and-a-half of the 1977 season, I remember being very excited about Billy Smith being at or near the top of the league in batting average. That spring was the first time that I had ever heard of him, and I would brag to my brother Mark (Yankee fan) about him (and also eventually about Ken Singleton and Al Bumbry when they both went to the top 3 in the league in batting average as the season wore on.) In the pre-Internet, Pre-Cable TV days, I would excitedly wait for my mom to get home with the NY Daily News every Sunday when the league stats for all of the regular position players and pitchers were posted on a weekly basis, so I could read how Smith was doing.

As the marathon 162 game season wore on, Smith's batting average progressively dropped. By the time that the season ended, he had batted .215 in 411 Plate Appearances.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/gl.fcgi?id=smithbi05&t=b&year=1977

o

Archived