An Early Look at the 2019 Draft

Greg Pappas

• Replies 406
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, Greg Pappas said:

At this ridiculously early point, I'm big on Rutschman.  My reasoning is that I feel a truly great catcher (both offensively AND defensively) would be the most coveted hypothetical player in all of baseball. Another way of putting it is that I'd rather select a great young catcher over any other position, including SS and SP. IMHO.

The challenge with catchers is longevity.   But any player we pick will only be under team control for so long anyway.  

5 hours ago, Greg Pappas said:

At this ridiculously early point, I'm big on Rutschman.  My reasoning is that I feel a truly great catcher (both offensively AND defensively) would be the most coveted hypothetical player in all of baseball. Another way of putting it is that I'd rather select a great young catcher over any other position, including SS and SP. IMHO.

This is nothing rational, but I am a little karmically nervous about another number one pick of ours (and this time likely number one in MLB) being a switch hitting, big college catcher.   Pitching seems to be quite weak as it relates to having a clear number one pick this year.  

1 hour ago, tntoriole said:

This is nothing rational, but I am a little karmically nervous about another number one pick of ours (and this time likely number one in MLB) being a switch hitting, big college catcher.   Pitching seems to be quite weak as it relates to having a clear number one pick this year.  

I feel the same. And am also aware of the irrationality. 

1 hour ago, tntoriole said:

1 minute ago, joelala said:

I feel the same. And am also aware of the irrationality. 

The O's did pretty well with that pick.

And I'm not sure what you mean by karmically?  What does karma have to do with anything?

4 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

The O's did pretty well with that pick.

And I'm not sure what you mean by karmically?  What does karma have to do with anything?

I think it’s just a reference to our seeming bad luck with *most* high draft picks? 

And yes, Wieters was a solid pick, but never was the superstar this franchise needs moving forward. 

1 hour ago, joelala said:

I think it’s just a reference to our seeming bad luck with *most* high draft picks? 

And yes, Wieters was a solid pick, but never was the superstar this franchise needs moving forward. 

I'd have gone with jinxed instead.

Not sure karma was the word you were looking for.

2 minutes ago, panick said:

In the write-up about Stott, it was mentioned that he has a 'left-side arm' that would help him to stay at SS. What is a left-side arm?

I'm guessing an arm that plays at short or third.  Generally middle infield types with weaker arms get moved to second.

Archived