Ex-Orioles in the postseason

Moose Milligan

Love seeing Manny swinging for the fences and striking out on a pitch way out of the zone, 2 outs and down by 4.

No shorten up put the ball in play and try to extend the inning.

Best thing about 2019 Orioles, Manny is gone!

10 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

Last out of the Series is gonna be Manny.

Big congratulations to Steve Pearce - I always liked him when he was an Oriole.  Still do except for that ugly uniform he's taken to wearing half the year...

And Manny comes up small with the bat and the attitude.  I really wish I felt more about that but I just don't care.  What do you reckon he's cost himself in the last few weeks, $50 million?

54 minutes ago, Mendoza Line said:

Easy guy to root for. He's always been a gamer and I always liked him as an Oriole. He was an important part of that 2014 team. Happy for the dude.

Agree completely, but I was a little disappointed that we didn't get to see Pearce fill in at 2B during the Series. I enjoyed watching him play there for the Orioles. Just too many "real" second basemen on the RS.

2 hours ago, 24fps said:

Big congratulations to Steve Pearce - I always liked him when he was an Oriole.  Still do except for that ugly uniform he's taken to wearing half the year...

And Manny comes up small with the bat and the attitude.  I really wish I felt more about that but I just don't care.  What do you reckon he's cost himself in the last few weeks, $50 million?

Manny is probably fortunate that the Series didn't go seven games -- might have driven down his free agent value even more with strikeouts, stranding runners, borderline dirty plays on the bases, etc. (He did look pretty good at SS though, and didn't get on base enough to show us more than one example of bad baserunning that I can recall.)

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, 24fps said:

Did you see this? I wonder if that’s gonna hold?

3 hours ago, TonySoprano said:

Hey, the Orioles could afford that.  ?:leaving:

• Upvote 1

I think Manny cost himself nothing significant this offseason, in financial terms.    He did lose some respect.    I don’t care what one executive estimates Manny will get.     The market will tell us soon enough.    I still think 10/$300 mm+ because of his age, but I could be wrong.   I’m not the one who has to write the checks.   

8 minutes ago, ORIOLE33 said:

I never thought Manny was this $300M plus player. Heck, at one time some were saying he could get as much as $400M. I see Manny as a very good player, but not a megastar. $225M-$230M sounds about right.

This seems a reasonable estimate to me as well. I think the earlier high estimates were made in a vacuum, ie outside of a major microscope on him like the last month has been. There is definitely a downside to him that wasn’t brought to the fore like it was in recent weeks. Buyer beware, at least on that bad boy baggage that will be part of the whole package. 

7 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I think Manny cost himself nothing significant this offseason, in financial terms.    He did lose some respect.    I don’t care what one executive estimates Manny will get.     The market will tell us soon enough.    I still think 10/$300 mm+ because of his age, but I could be wrong.   I’m not the one who has to write the checks.   

We'll probably never know, but my guess is that Manny's contract won't be affected much -- other than through the lost opportunity of adding value by starring in the postseason. I am guessing that a few potential bidders will lose interest in Manny, or reduce the amount they'll pay, but that others will be unaffected by what they saw in the post-season. And in theory you only need to keep the two highest bidders active to maximize the price. (If Peter Angelos is bidding, you may not need any other bidders.)

24 minutes ago, NashLumber said:

Did you see this? I wonder if that’s gonna hold?

No, I didn't see that before I posted.  I pulled $50 million out of thin air because I don't think anybody can pinpoint a number a this stage, but I firmly believe that his bad boy act coupled with his disappearing act in the WS is going to cost him something significant.  I predict it will be a story we'll all be sick of by opening day regardless of the outcome.

28 minutes ago, El Gordo said:

Whatever Manny gets it will be more than Harper. Right now his market seems to be MFY, LAD and PHL. 

Harper has had a very interesting career. I don’t think too many people thinks he’s as good as Manny, but his two best years are better than any year Manny has ever had. Outside of his two great years, he’s been very average. 

With that being said, I get the feeling Harper’s more box office than Manny. He’s the one I see in commercials.