Potential Target: C.J. Cron

Brooks The Great

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Mancini has little value. He’s a platoon DH on a contender. Even if you put him at 1B, his arm throwing around the bases is a weakness. Nothing against the guy, he’s just more Danny Valencia than Steve Pearce. 

So 2017 never happened? Mancini never slashed .293/.338/.488/.826 with 24 HR and finishing 3rd in the ROY voting?

Trey had a very poor 1st half last year, but really picked it up the 2nd half. His overall numbers are worse than he was all year and most of his power numbers are similar to 2017.

Mancini has had a real good year and a year where he had a really poor half and a solid half.

I'm not ready to write a 26 year old off on a really bad half. That's just me.

7 minutes ago, Dark Helmet said:

So 2017 never happened? Mancini never slashed .293/.338/.488/.826 with 24 HR and finishing 3rd in the ROY voting?

Trey had a very poor 1st half last year, but really picked it up the 2nd half. His overall numbers are worse than he was all year and most of his power numbers are similar to 2017.

Mancini has had a real good year and a year where he had a really poor half and a solid half.

I'm not ready to write a 26 year old off on a really bad half. That's just me.

I agree. I don't think he will be traded just yet. 

1 hour ago, weams said:

Trey Mancini had a .299 OBP in 2018. Which was supposed to be his breakout year at age 26. 

I am more bullish on Mancini than you.   He’s had one very good year, and one bad one.   I think his career average is about who he is. He will have some years better than the average.   Hopefully 2019 will be one of them.   I’m inclined to hold on to him this winter in the hopes that he has a better year and his value increases.   

36 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I am more bullish on Mancini than you.   He’s had one very good year, and one bad one.   I think his career average is about who he is. He will have some years better than the average.   Hopefully 2019 will be one of them.   I’m inclined to hold on to him this winter in the hopes that he has a better year and his value increases.   

When he was coming up, there was no one that was more bullish on Trey than me. I lost the lovin' feeling. 

5 hours ago, Brooks The Great said:

But he has. And he can for the 2019 O's. Because, again, it makes us worse. Which is exactly what we want.

For me, 2019 isn’t about tanking. It’s about learning more about what this team’s younger players can do. The losing record and high draft picks will take care of themselves. 

I know that Mancini can’t provide acceptable defense in LF. I’d like to see what he’s like at 1B if he’s given 50 to 100 games there and is kept out of the OF except on an emergency basis. 

44 minutes ago, Enjoy Terror said:

All that’s fine, but there are RoY winners like Chris Coghlan who just were never very good.

I'm not saying Mancini will ever top or match what he did in 17, I'm just not ready to give up on him because of a bad half.

Mancini could add value as a DH once Trumbo and/or Davis is gone. Especially on a team that won't contend for 3 or 4 years. Maybe he even catches that lightning in a bottle where he hits 30HR and some team does give up a decent prospect for him.

5 hours ago, Frobby said:

With all due respect Frobby, Mancini has hit everywhere that he's played. The 1st half of last year is more of a hiccup than a norm. He certainly made the adjustment in the latter part of the season.

I would trade him in the right deal but I certainly expect him to be a .280-.290 avg, 340-360 OBP with a ops of 800ish.

If he can be a solid 1B once you figure out how to clear Davis or move him once you get rid of Trumbo he'd be a valuable piece.

12 hours ago, Roll Tide said:

With all due respect Frobby, Mancini has hit everywhere that he's played. The 1st half of last year is more of a hiccup than a norm. He certainly made the adjustment in the latter part of the season.

I would trade him in the right deal but I certainly expect him to be a .280-.290 avg, 340-360 OBP with a ops of 800ish.

If he can be a solid 1B once you figure out how to clear Davis or move him once you get rid of Trumbo he'd be a valuable piece.

1st half 2017: .892 OPS

2nd half 2017: .765

1st half 2018: .655

2nd half 2018: .792

I agree with you that the first half of last year was a hiccup, but I could argue that the first half of 2017 was a fluke and the league adjusted to him.  In his career, he’s .759 in the first half, .795 in the second half (including his red hot debut in late 2016).   That’s about the range of what I think he is.

Archived