Give Sisco another Chance

Legend_Of_Joey

50 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

Severino hasn't shown at any time in the Majors or Minors prior to this season that he has the bat to be a starting MLB catcher. I think it is quite likely that the 80 at bat stretch from April 20th to June 4th will be the high point of his career.

Severino likely isn’t as good as he’s playing right now, but there is bat speed and power there.

Looking at the statcast data, he’s earning his production, he hasn’t been lucky on balls in play.

His approach has changed, he’s swinging less overall, chasing less, but swinging more often then ever at balls over the heart of the plate.

While the safe money is always on regression from an early season career best performance, this does look like the signs of a real breakout. Perhaps not to the level he’s at right now, but above what he’s shown in the rest of his pro career.

• Upvote 3

5 hours ago, MurphDogg said:

Severino hasn't shown at any time in the Majors or Minors prior to this season that he has the bat to be a starting MLB catcher. I think it is quite likely that the 80 at bat stretch from April 20th to June 4th will be the high point of his career.

Probably so, but it would be irresponsible imo if the O's didn't see what they have in him and give him the opportunity to show that his start isn't a fluke.  They've got nothing to lose.  Sisco can be the backup catcher and get at bats elsewhere.  

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Ruzious said:

Probably so, but it would be irresponsible imo if the O's didn't see what they have in him and give him the opportunity to show that his start isn't a fluke.  They've got nothing to lose.  Sisco can be the backup catcher and get at bats elsewhere.  

Why can't Severino "get at bats elsewhere"?

17 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Sure he does but Sisco ain't going to improve at DH.  

Yes I know he might not improve.

We have a 25 year old catcher currently with an .878 OPS who is known to be solid defensively.

We have a 24 year old catcher currently with an OPS over 1.000 in a SSS who is more of a liability defensively.

We are about to sign one of the top catching prospects in the history of the game.

All of that to say.................personally I don't really care in 2019 which one between Sisco or Severino is catching regularly unless Severino really starts to crater with his bat.   I guess the challenge is you want both Sisco and Nunez to keep getting AB, which is an issue.   Guess they can platoon for now.

19 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Sure he does but Sisco ain't going to improve at DH.  

Yes I know he might not improve.

Meh, Sisco's still going to play some catcher, and he'll save some wear and tear on his knees.  If you want, I'll have him do extra catching drills during the day.    

10 hours ago, Luke-OH said:

Severino likely isn’t as good as he’s playing right now, but there is bat speed and power there.

Looking at the statcast data, he’s earning his production, he hasn’t been lucky on balls in play.

His approach has changed, he’s swinging less overall, chasing less, but swinging more often then ever at balls over the heart of the plate.

While the safe money is always on regression from an early season career best performance, this does look like the signs of a real breakout. Perhaps not to the level he’s at right now, but above what he’s shown in the rest of his pro career.

He’s not going to continue OPS’ing .900 with average-to-plus defense at catcher? Cut his ass!

Last night, Sisco was thrown out on the back end of an ill-advised double steal with two outs in the first inning, and then in the third inning he made a critical throwing error after tagging home on a bases loaded force play.   The throw to 1B bounced, Davis couldn’t handle it, and two runs scored.    The second runner initially was called out, but replay apparently showed that Sisco hadn’t applied the tag.    Not exactly a stellar night.    

5 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Last night, Sisco was thrown out on the back end of an ill-advised double steal with two outs in the first inning, and then in the third inning he made a critical throwing error after tagging home on a bases loaded force play.   The throw to 1B bounced, Davis couldn’t handle it, and two runs scored.    The second runner initially was called out, but replay apparently showed that Sisco hadn’t applied the tag.    Not exactly a stellar night.    

But hey, no stolen bases.

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

The knock on him was always defense, but it was supposed to be compensated for by his offense.