Give Sisco another Chance

Legend_Of_Joey

On 9/15/2018 at 6:01 PM, Legend_Of_Joey said:

Now now, before @Can_of_corn hands me my PhD in “Austin Wynns Promoting,” read me out .....…

Sisco’s struggles at the beginning of the season are well documented and touched upon by @Tony-OH during various threads, mainly calling out Sisco’s “slow bat” and high strike out rate as he closed in on a record. Then there is the EXTREMELY bizarre Sunday where Sisco was in the line up, all the way up to first pitch. Then suddenly it is Wynns and Sisco isn’t even seen anywhere (Chris Davis would come out and warm up the pitcher between innings when Wynns was getting his gear on.) After the game, Buck made comments about Sisco not feeling well and needing to get his head right. Sisco also took up the entire allotted time to report to Norfolk.

He did come back up around the 10 day mark later, but once he got sent down again, it was for good.

When in Norfolk during his recent stint, Sisco went 27 for 116 for a .232 average. He hit 1 home run and had 11 walks and 31 strike outs. On defense, he threw out 5 of 27 would be base stealers for a 19% caught stealing rate (rounded up). Sisco needed to work on his hitting and his defense in Norfolk per Buck.

Shortly after the September 1st roster expansion, Keith Law had a chat where he mentioned Sisco either needed a change of scenery (if Buck stays) or a new manager.

Since coming up from Norfolk after September 1st, Sisco has appeared in 4 games, out of 13.

1 game as a DH when he replaced an ill Chris Davis (0-3 with a k)

1 game as a late inning replacement (0-1 with a k)

1 game starting (0-4 with a k) and 1-3 on base stealers

1 game as a late inning pinch hitter for the DH (0-1 with a k)

In comparison, Caleb Joseph has appeared in 6 games (5 starting, 1 late inning replacement) and Austin Wynns has appeared in 5 games (4 starting, 1 late inning replacement). Corban Joseph also has gotten more time, pinch hitting 3 times against right handers.

The whole “maybe giving him a rest” part goes out the window after 13 games. With the strong AA season of Martin Cervenka and the many reports that the Orioles will be adding him to the 40 man roster, will they want to keep Sisco on the MLB roster, or even want to keep him around if Buck is here? 3 “rookie” catchers might not be in their list of plans. Could they get rid of Wynns? There is always that possibility. They have used him in promotions and videos a lot lately in their social media though, so they really want fans to see who he is.

Clearly Buck doesn’t want to use him, even having Jace Peterson pinch hit for Caleb the other night, instead of Sisco. If the Orioles non-tender Caleb, they could (and probably should) be looking for a veteran catcher to continue to guide a young staff and mentor any of the young catchers (Wynns, Sisco, Cervenka.) However, if the team leans towards Wynns as the backup, would they let Sisco and Cervenka time share in Norfolk? Do they change Sisco to another position?

o

(APRIL 4th Through APRIL 27th)

PA: llllll 71

AB: llllll 64

H lllllllllll 12

BB: lllllll 5

HR: lllllll 0

RBI: lllll 4

2B: llllllll 3

BA: llll .188

OBP: l .267

(APRIL 28th Through MAY 4th)

PA: llllll 34

AB: llllll 28

H lllllllllll 15

HR: lllllll 5

RBI: llll 18

BA: llll .536

OBP: l .647

http://www.milb.com/player/index.jsp?player_id=642082#/gamelogs/R/hitting/2019/MINORS

o

It was beginning to look like he was drowning down there, so I'm happy he's turned it around in a big way. I care less about the crazy hot streak and more about, can he just hit like .260 with some power at AAA consistently without these enormous peaks and valleys? Can he figure out the defense? 

There's something there, clearly. 

Keep giving Sisco a Chance!

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

Emphasis on every day.

What is it seven in a row now?

I think so after yesterday. Atleast they are off today.

The sad part is, Pedro Perez is gonna get a pretty serious hangnail and go back on the IL so Sucre to come back tomorrow.

On 5/6/2019 at 2:46 PM, OFFNY said:

o

5 And-A-Half Months Later (May 6th)

AAA-Norfolk catcher Chance Sisco has been named the International League Batter of the Week ........ that happens when you bat .565 with 5 Home Runs, 15 RBI's, 30 total bases, a .655 OBP, and a 1.304 Slugging Percentage.

https://twitter.com/masnRoch/status/1125417637670989824

International League Players of the Week Named

(International League News Release)

https://www.oursportscentral.com/services/releases/international-league-players-of-the-week-named/n-5482518

o

o

(APRIL 4th Through APRIL 27th)

PA: llllll 71

AB: llllll 64

H lllllllllll 12

HR: lllllll 0

RBI: lllll 4

BA: llll .188

OBP: l .267

(APRIL 28th Through MAY 4th)

PA: llllll 34

AB: llllll 28

H lllllllllll 15

HR: lllllll 5

RBI: llll 18

BA: llll .536

OBP: l .647

http://www.milb.com/player/index.jsp?player_id=642082#/gamelogs/R/hitting/2019/MINORS

o

1 minute ago, Philip said:

Where would he play ???

And dont say catcher, because no.

o

I don't necessarily think that the Orioles ought to bring him up to the Majors right this minute, but I do think that his breaking out of his early-season slump with a scorching week on offense is/was relevant to the overall/long-term notion of him getting another chance at some point.

o

39 minutes ago, OFFNY said:

o

I don't necessarily think that the Orioles ought to bring him up to the Majors right this minute, but I do think that his breaking out of his early-season slump with a scorching week on offense is/was relevant to the overall/long-term notion of him getting another chance at some point.

o

I don’t argue with that at all. It seems that his K rate is down and he’s hitting better pitches, So of course I think you should get another chance, but I don’t think he’s a competent catcher, so we would have to find someplace else for him to play.

And I have absolutely no idea where that would be