Give Sisco another Chance

Legend_Of_Joey

12 minutes ago, BohKnowsBmore said:

You strongly implied it’s been just one good game. 

Actually I came right out and said,”one game does not an all star make,” which is a concrete statement. Of course 20 games does not at all star make, nor 30, nor 10% of the total: the point remains valid. Yes he had a good game last night, and he’s had other good games during his career, but they have been out numbered by his awful games, his 40% strikeout rate, his repellent defense, and so on.

All of it can be put into small sample size, but you can look at the trends going up or down. His strike out rate is down, his contact rate appears to be up, and those are good things. His defense remains unplayable, unless his offense is elite, and it’s not elite yet. Let’s wait and see.

11 minutes ago, TINSTAAPP said:

You point out how minor league production is irrelevant and that major league production is really what counts yet Severino had a .187/.273/.287 Major League line coming into this year and still only has a career ML line of .222/.302/.367. Sisco has better offensive numbers across the board even after the terrible season he had last year. 

Yes, what matters is what we do in the major leagues. Does anyone think otherwise? Why do you? 

Severino was not given up on for nothing. We picked him up because his defense is outstanding. That alone makes him worth having, even if he were still hitting poorly. But he’s done well this season over a lot of at bats. He may turn back into a pumpkin, but right now he’s a better all-around player.

3 hours ago, Philip said:

What one does in the minors is irrelevant. How many guys are bad in the minors and productive on the majors? Not many. How many are good in the Minors but bad in the majors? A whole lot.

But who cares how anybody did down there. Severino is playing well where it counts. Do you think the Nats wish they had him back? He’s worth .9 fWAR, which makes him(sadly) among the team leaders.

meanwhile, Sisco had a great game yesterday, but one game does not a resurrection make.

The number of players who are consistently excellent in the minors and consistently bad in the majors is not any different than the number of players who're good in one year in the majors and bad the next year in the majors.

There is a lot of information to be gleaned from minor league performances.  Ignore at your own risk.  There just aren't many players who (properly context adjusted) hit very well in the high minors and never hit in the majors.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Philip said:

Yes, what matters is what we do in the major leagues. Does anyone think otherwise? Why do you? 

Severino was not given up on for nothing. We picked him up because his defense is outstanding. That alone makes him worth having, even if he were still hitting poorly. But he’s done well this season over a lot of at bats. He may turn back into a pumpkin, but right now he’s a better all-around player.

Severino defense isnt great and Siscos defense isnt repellent. Severino was DFAd this year and every National League team passed on trading for him and no American League team besides the Orioles didnt think he was worth even a small amount of cash.  

I have no problem giving Severino at bats as back up catcher and DH ovet guys like Nunwz and Davis but no way he should be stopping Sisco from getting playing time.

And yes major league matters that is why I want to see Sisco sink or swim in the majors.

1 hour ago, atomic said:

And yes major league matters that is why I want to see Sisco sink or swim in the majors.

I agree and I’m happy to let Sisco play up here. 

But his defense needs work to avoid his D draining away the benefit of his O

o

(vs. INDIANS, 6/29)

NUMBER 4

CHANCTHOMALEO SISCO

CHANCTHOMALEO SISCO

CHANCTHOMALEO SISCO

CHANCTHOMALEO SISCO

CHANCTHOMALEO SISCO

CHANCTHOMALEO SISCO

CHANCTHOMALEO SISCO

o

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, OFFNY said:

o

(JULY 1st)

Orioles Critiquing Young Catchers

(By Roch Kubatko)

https://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2019/07/orioles-critiquing-their-young-catchers.html

o

Boy, that was an article that said nothing that anyone who follows the team didn't already know or have read. I thought it was going to say the what the Orioles have Sisco working on or something. Instead it was a fluff piece that regurgitated what Hyde had already said about wanting to give them both at bats.

• Haha 1

Just now, Tony-OH said:

Boy, that was an article that said nothing anyone who follows the team didn't already know or have read. I thought it was going to say the what the Orioles have Sisco working on or something. Instead it was a fluff piece that regurgitated what Hyde had already said about wanting to give them both at bats.

Roch has been particularly uninspired this season. His tweets make no effort to hide his boredom or disinterest. It's kind of weird honestly. Meanwhile guys like Meoli, Melewski, Ruiz, even Trezza are putting in work. They're fun follows in an otherwise bleak year. Not out to slam Roch, I like the guy and have been a loyal reader for years, I just think it's pretty obvious he's sub-par this year. I know he's had a lot to deal with in his life recently and such, so it is what it is. Just sayin'. 

I was a Melewski critic previously, but honestly his work calling  games in ST and interviewing guests, and his consistent output regarding the minor leagues... it's all pretty good stuff. I feel like he's done a great job this season. 

Just now, interloper said:

Roch has been particularly uninspired this season. His tweets make no effort to hide his boredom or disinterest. It's kind of weird honestly. Meanwhile guys like Meoli, Melewski, Ruiz, even Trezza are putting in work. They're fun follows in an otherwise bleak year. Not out to slam Roch, I like the guy and have been a loyal reader for years, I just think it's pretty obvious he's sub-par this year. I know he's had a lot to deal with in his life recently and such, so it is what it is. Just sayin'. 

I was a Melewski critic previously, but honestly his work calling  games in ST and interviewing guests, and his consistent output regarding the minor leagues... it's all pretty good stuff. I feel like he's done a great job this season. 

Meoli, Ruiz and Trezza also put out actual good information on Twitter as well, not just regurgitating what happened in the game.  

I've had my issues with Melewski as well in the past, but his work this spring during games was outstanding. He effectively called the game action, but his knowledge of the players, particularly the minor league players that were playing put him a notch up. He used stats effectively (Unlike Hunter who once pointed out that Chris Lee was a great prospect because of his 5-0 record at Bowie the year before) and his interviews had good questions.

Ruiz, Meoli and Trezza have added needed fresh blood into the local beat. Of course none of them follow me on Twitter so they are supporting my "blacklist" from the local beat media. :D

• Upvote 1