Orioles select SS Richie Martin with 1st pick of Rule 5 Draft

weams

17 hours ago, Jammer7 said:

So much for the below average defense commentary. It has been inconsistent at times, but Richie has skills. 

Plays like this is why scoff at people when they say he doesn't have any range or has a poor arm. Martin has been inconsistent at times and I know his defensive metrics have not been great (I can't wait for statcast infield metrics), but I'd be completely fine with him at SS if he could find a way to OPS .700-.720 one day. 

• Upvote 2

14 hours ago, Frobby said:

Actually, I saw Beckham make a play almost exactly like that at a game I attended in August 2017.   I was with hoosiers, who I’m sure would back me up on this.    Beckham’s problem is lack of steadiness, not the inability to make the occasional spectacular play.    

That and an almost otherwordly lack of game awareness. I agree though, Beckam had all the tools to make those kinds of plays, he just was always going to be inconsistent.

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, Philip said:

I like Martin.

he may not have a future, but he sure has a present. 

I noticed that his throw had a really high arc to it. If he had thrown in a little bit straighter and lower it would’ve been a closer play.

One thing Manny could do it like nobody else Was throw a laser from deep 3rd to 1st while in the air and falling away backwards. That was just amazing.

Manny has a special arm. Probably the strongest arm I've seen from an Oriole so yes, he probably would have thrown a laser over there, but Martin had enough on that throw to get the out.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Manny has a special arm. Probably the strongest arm I've seen from an Oriole so yes, he probably would have thrown a laser over there, but Martin had enough on that throw to get the out.

Absolutely, I am not at all I’m happy to have Martin playing short. He makes mistakes, but his head is always aware of what’s going on. I’m don’t think he’s made a single fundamental baseball mistake all season.

56 minutes ago, Philip said:

Absolutely, I am not at all I’m happy to have Martin playing short. He makes mistakes, but his head is always aware of what’s going on. I’m don’t think he’s made a single fundamental baseball mistake all season.

He has a very high baseball IQ which is something I appreciate. His future will all revolve around his ability to hit. He's obviously overmatched with the stick and has really struggled with major league breaking pitches and offspeed. I hope his bat can come around in the second half, but his statcast info doesn't give much hope that he's going to be very good offensively. 

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

In my experience, there’s 4 aspects to throwing:

1.   Raw arm strength

2.   Accuracy

3.   Ability to get rid of the ball quickly

4.   Ability to throw from different angles and body positions

Of the various players who’ve manned SS for the Orioles, I’d say Manny and Tejada were 1 and 2 in arm strength.    Belanger, Bordick and Hardy were the most accurate, and also excelled in getting rid of the ball quickly, especially Bordick, who had the weakest arm.   As to throwing from different body positions and angles, I’ve literally never seen anyone who can do what Manny can do.    He doesn’t even need to look at 1B to instinctively know where it is.

Back to Martin, I think his arm strength is comparable to Hardy’s, and he is solidly accurate but not as accurate as Hardy, nor does he get rid of it quite as quickly.    He’s got no glaring flaws defensively, though in my opinion he’s still learning positioning and the ball doesn’t seem to find his glove as often as some guys who had less foot speed than he does, like Hardy and Cal.

It’s too bad baseball wasn’t televised 162 games a year when Belanger was playing.    I remember him as being incredibly graceful and having a long wingspan, and playing almost effortlessly.    But my memories of him aren’t as clear as of the others I’ve mentioned because he wasn’t on TV every night (and, it was a hell of a long time ago).    

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

In my experience, there’s 4 aspects to throwing:

1.   Raw arm strength

2.   Accuracy

3.   Ability to get rid of the ball quickly

4.   Ability to throw from different angles and body positions

Of the various players who’ve manned SS for the Orioles, I’d say Manny and Tejada were 1 and 2 in arm strength.   

I'd put Schoop over Tejada for arm strength (5 games in 2017).

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

I'd put Schoop over Tejada for arm strength (5 games in 2017).

Maybe.    Obviously the arm gets tested more frequently at SS, so I’ve had more opportunities to see Tejada make throws from deep in the hole, etc.   Schoop certainly has a gun.

• 2 months later...