2019 Winter Meetings

weams

• Replies 433
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I don’t think anyone was thinking about that when ARod was 25.

ARod was a year younger than Harper/Machado when he hit free agency, and had been worth 4-11 WAR more in his career (depending on which player and which flavor of WAR).    He was coming off a monster year where he’d been worth 10.5 rWAR, 9.5 fWAR.   Neither Manny nor Harper has his credentials.    

Evidence points to A-Rod performance enhancing at age 19. 

1 minute ago, weams said:

Evidence points to A-Rod performance enhancing at age 19. 

That might be, I haven’t followed it.   I’m just making the point that ARod’s track record when he was a FA was better than Machado’s and Harper’s by a wide margin, and so if they don’t get contracts that are comparable with ARod’s (adjusted for inflation), I don’t that that indicates any problem with the overall market, which is what Passan implied.    Now if they didn’t get contracts as big as ARod’s with no inflation adjustment, I might scratch my head.   I don’t see that happening, with Harper already rejecting 10/$300 mm from the Nats and Mark Lerner suggesting that Harper would have been leaving money on the table to take that.   

23 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I don’t think anyone was thinking about that when ARod was 25.

ARod was a year younger than Harper/Machado when he hit free agency, and had been worth 4-11 WAR more in his career (depending on which player and which flavor of WAR).    He was coming off a monster year where he’d been worth 10.5 rWAR, 9.5 fWAR.   Neither Manny nor Harper has his credentials.    

At the age of 20 ARod was a good shortstop who hit .358 and led the league in total bases*.  He was basically Honus Wagner.  It was realistic to think he could have become the best player ever.

* and lost the MVP to Juan Gonzalez, who wasn't as good a hitter, missed almost 30 games, and was a below-average RF who also DH'd.

2 minutes ago, 25 Nuggets said:

so... any chance the Orioles can sell someone at the December meetings?  Or are they still hiring coaches and scouts and stuff?

I doubt they can sell because of the quality of what is left. Other than Bundy, Givens, Cobb, and Mancini there really is no one. 

I doubt the hiring of staff has ANYTHING to do with continued tear down. 

I expect every deal to be based on bring down commitments, not loading up on top 100 talent. 

I expect the Winter Meetings to be a complete non-event for the Orioles from a player personnel standpoint.     Hopefully Elias and Mejdal can talk to some good candidates for front office and scouting jobs while they’re in Vegas.   Otherwise I’m not expecting any moves other than whatever happens in the Rule 5 draft.   

3 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I expect the Winter Meetings to be a complete non-event for the Orioles from a player personnel standpoint.     Hopefully Elias and Mejdal can talk to some good candidates for front office and scouting jobs while they’re in Vegas.   Otherwise I’m not expecting any moves other than whatever happens in the Rule 5 draft.   

I agree. A holiday gift to you.

DuEtq9OW0AElivH.jpg

5 minutes ago, Frobby said:

The names change but the story remains the same.  You could've posted this for the last 20 years and been correct for the most part.

Archived