2019 Winter Meetings

weams

• Replies 433
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 12/16/2018 at 11:15 PM, section18 said:

The Astros are talking about adding Cruz and Brantley according to word out of Houston. Both of them. He's a left handed hitter and the flag court will look very attractive to him.  I've seen him clear the wall and hit the wall a number of times with 2 base hits when he was with Boston and Oakland and when he was here with the Astros.

Well, the rumor you reported was well founded, at least as to Brantley.   Not sure if I’d call that a prediction, but close enough I guess.  Well done.  

Thanks ! The above was edited and left out Josh Reddick who is described after the first sentence. Cruz played with the Rangers at one time so a return to Texas might appeal to him. Don't they have a tax break ? Cruz would be another great pickup if they get him.

I think we’re looking at a OF like Gentry or Shane Robinson. Someone that will sign on for a milb deal. They won’t be on the 40 man unless they make the OD roster. Good COF defense. A vet looking for the possibility of MLB ABs and likely being waived a few times throughout the season. 

It’s looking like we’re starting the year out with Mancini, Mullens, Stewart/Rickard. We already have Jace Peterson back on a milb deal. I like him in the 5th OF/Super sub spot. Just to keep guys in the right position. 

I don’t see us making any type of guaranteed commitment to a FA OF with Diaz, Hays, and Santander, all real close. We just need a 5th OF to help the team be respectable defensively in the OF. 

50 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I think we’re looking at a OF like Gentry or Shane Robinson. Someone that will sign on for a milb deal. They won’t be on the 40 man unless they make the OD roster. Good COF defense. A vet looking for the possibility of MLB ABs and likely being waived a few times throughout the season. 

It’s looking like we’re starting the year out with Mancini, Mullens, Stewart/Rickard. We already have Jace Peterson back on a milb deal. I like him in the 5th OF/Super sub spot. Just to keep guys in the right position. 

I don’t see us making any type of guaranteed commitment to a FA OF with Diaz, Hays, and Santander, all real close. We just need a 5th OF to help the team be respectable defensively in the OF. 

Don't forget Yaz as outfield depth.  He might be ahead on Peterson in the outfield.  Yaz is on a minor league contract with options.  Peterson is out of options.  Yaz is not a starter but may help if there are injuries.

I have a hard time see and outfield of Mancini, Mullins and Stewart.  Not enough range.  The O's need to add a cheap, rangy outfielder that can hit a little who can play right until  Hays is ready.

40 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Don't forget Yaz as outfield depth.  He might be ahead on Peterson in the outfield.  Yaz is on a minor league contract with options.  Peterson is out of options.  Yaz is not a starter but may help if there are injuries.

I have a hard time see and outfield of Mancini, Mullins and Stewart.  Not enough range.  The O's need to add a cheap, rangy outfielder that can hit a little who can play right until  Hays is ready.

Forgot about Yaz. Players are going to get chances. Hopefully that is the sell to get guys to take MILB deals with us. I just don’t see us signing anyone to guaranteed money. Why?  We need 1-2 stop gap AAAA gets until the young guys are ready. Plus we’d have to take someone off the 40 man roster. I’d handicap the bottom of the 40 man as,

40. Hart - No options. Although I have my own personal theory that we may see him as a LH “opener” next year vs teams with LH heavy lineups 1-5. Why else has he survived?

39. Susac- We need a 3rd C but we kept Crevenka and who knows if Susac even wants to be with with us. 

38. Wright. No options. 

I think we’re all aware of how nice it would be to not have Davis and Trumbo. 

3 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Forgot about Yaz. Players are going to get chances. Hopefully that is the sell to get guys to take MILB deals with us. I just don’t see us signing anyone to guaranteed money. Why?  We need 1-2 stop gap AAAA gets until the young guys are ready. Plus we’d have to take someone off the 40 man roster. I’d handicap the bottom of the 40 man as,

40. Hart - No options. Although I have my own personal theory that we may see him as a LH “opener” next year vs teams with LH heavy lineups 1-5. 

39. Susac- We need a 3rd C but we kept Crevenka and who knows if Susac even wants to be with with us. 

38. Wright. No options. 

I think we’re all aware of how nice it would be to not have Davis and Trumbo. 

I agree with all that. Except forgetting about Yaz which is a small point.  He is OF depth in the minors. There is case of injuries.

• weams changed the title to 2019 Winter Meetings

Archived