2019 Winter Meetings

weams

• Replies 433
  • Created
  • Last Reply
32 minutes ago, raypetty said:

No player in MLB is worth the contracts that either Harper or Manny will get.  No one!  It's become ridiculous in all sports what athletes are getting paid.   Period!

Professional athletes are near the bottom of my list of folks who are overcompensated for what they do, even with the ridiculous sums of money that some of them get paid. Unlike say, the CEO of Wells Fargo, it is kinda hard to find a replacement for Manny or Harper who would do better. Again, unlike the CEO of Wells Fargo, Manny and Harper have actually brought a smidgen of joy and excitement to my life.....and they didn't try to steal my identity or overcharge the interest on my home loan. I am not trying to say that Manny and Harper are worth that amount of money relative to the value folks like teachers or cops provide. But In a world where lots of yahoos with far less unique skills get paid just as ridiculous, if not more so, amounts of money  I choose to direct my egregious pay  ire elsewhere.

3 minutes ago, Bahama O's Fan said:

How about in simple baseball terms, do you think Machado or Harper will be worth their contract by WAR standards when the contract is up?

I doubt they will, but they probably will have more than earned the contract in the early and middle years of it. Take Adam Jones as an example. Based on Fangraph's 2015 estimate of 1 WAR being worth $7.7,  AJ needed to produce 11.1 WAR over the course of his six year 2013 deal to make him worth the $85.5m investment. He produced 17.2 fWAR, good for a value of $132.4m. AJ and the Orioles both benefited from his contract, even though his WAR the last few years didn't measure up. 

7 hours ago, raypetty said:

No player in MLB is worth the contracts that either Harper or Manny will get.  No one!  It's become ridiculous in all sports what athletes are getting paid.   Period!

They are paid as entertainers, not athletes. Money from TV, radio, admissions, advertising and more determines their "worth," not their baseball capabilities. Based on the revenue the teams bring in because people want to watch these entertainers, they seem, as a group, to be worth every penny of what they get. 

Personally, I'd prefer that this money be spent on school teachers, nurses and veterans' benefits, but that's not the world in which we live.

45 minutes ago, Bahama O's Fan said:

How about in simple baseball terms, do you think Machado or Harper will be worth their contract by WAR standards when the contract is up?

I’ll tell you when I see their contracts.   At 10/$300 mm, I like their chances.    At higher AAV or years, it gets more problematic.   

Manny has been worth $236 mm in 6.3 seasons (including one in which he missed 76 games).   Harper’s been worth about the same in 6.8 seasons.   They both will be 26 next season.    I like their odds to be worth $200 mm over the next 5 years, maybe even $250 mm.     How they age after that is anyone’s guess.    I think Harper has more upside and more downside than Manny.

4 hours ago, Bahama O's Fan said:

I think any team that signs Machado and/or Harper is going to seriously regret it. For different reasons.

Duquette acquired pitcher Dana Eveland from the Dodgers on the final day of his first Winter Meetings with the Orioles. He closed last year’s session by alerting the media that the Orioles signed minor league free agent pitcher Michael Kelly to a major league deal - the news coming to us as we gathered to talk about the three Rule 5 selections.

Cue the Google searches on Michael Kelly.

The running joke over the years is, “We did all this work for Dana Eveland?” Yes. Yes we did.

http://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2018/12/prepping-for-the-winter-meetings.html#disqus_thread

Archived