Chris Davis 2019 and beyond

Camden_yardbird

25 minutes ago, POR said:

Murray did not have a reputation for being a bad guy.  His teammates and managers all talked about him as being a great guy.  He was also extremely involved in the community and with charities.  I don't understand your point at all.    

I didn't say he was a bad guy. He had a bad reputation created by the media. I never said he was a bad guy. I don't understand why you can't see that and why you insist on making it seem as though I am. 

7 minutes ago, Dark Helmet said:

Again, I was responding to someone who brought up Eddie. Other than that, I wouldn't even had brought him up. I loved Eddie 

I don't doubt it and I wasn't accusing you of anything. I loved Eddie, too. 

I think if Davis’ final numbers look remotely like they do now, they need to cut bait with him.   You can overpay a replacement level player and keep him out there, but you’re hurting yourself when you’re playing a guy who is well below replacement level.   A buy out would be miraculous but I don’t expect Davis to agree to it.   

27 minutes ago, mdbdotcom said:

I don't doubt it and I wasn't accusing you of anything. I loved Eddie, too. 

I was ectatic when they traded for him in 96 or 97. Wow, I can't remember which year it was. I'm getting old haha.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I think if Davis’ final numbers look remotely like they do now, they need to cut bait with him.   You can overpay a replacement level player and keep him out there, but you’re hurting yourself when you’re playing a guy who is well below replacement level.   A buy out would be miraculous but I don’t expect Davis to agree to it.   

Maybe he'd be more open to it if they benched him and played Mancini at 1B. Right now he couldn't beat out Trumbo or Alvarez for the DH job.

1 hour ago, mdbdotcom said:

Davis is white. If you never sat along the first-base line in Memorial Stadium you have no idea what Eddie had to put up with. Plenty of racist O's fans gave Frank a hard time, too, when he became manager (one couple I know refused to use their season tickets the entire time Frank was the manager). Racist behavior wasn't exclusive to Baltimore, I'm sure. But you just can't compare how Davis and Eddie are treated by fans without bringing up the obvious factor of skin color.

I never sat along the first-base line in Memorial Stadium but I was an Ed Murray fan and I never heard he was a "bad guy." I don't believe that Oriole fans of the 80's and 90's (except for a few nuts) would treat a player differently because of race. 

46 minutes ago, mdbdotcom said:

Maybe he'd be more open to it if they benched him and played Mancini at 1B. Right now he couldn't beat out Trumbo or Alvarez for the DH job.

Yeah I tend to agree. I understand the philosophy of wanting to play him and see if he snaps out of it and all. But he's showing zero signs of that. Maybe tell him to take a minor league assignment to work on things or be benched. They're paying him to do nothing anyhow. 

At this point, I want Manny, Jones, Trumbo, and Davis gone. I want Hays, Mullins, and Stewart in the OF. Mancini at 1B. And either Santander at DH or in the minors and Alvarez at DH. 

44 minutes ago, Dark Helmet said:

I was ectatic when they traded for him in 96 or 97. Wow, I can't remember which year it was. I'm getting old haha.

They trade for him to get the 500 HR mark in Baltimore. I remember the nice banner on the warehouse. 

2 hours ago, RZNJ said:

First off, I would give Davis the rest of this year to see if there is any hope at all.   Assuming there isn't, I would approach him about reaching a settlement on his contract where the Orioles can save something.  Anything.    Obviously, Davis is entitled to the contract in it's entirety.       They could keep playing him.   At some point the fans will really turn on him and it will get to the point that Chris Davis will not want to put himself through it anymore.  Baseball can't be fun when you are this bad.  As the fans turn on him, it will be even less fun.    Perhaps, Davis will consider a buyout of some sort, where he can retire and still collect most of his contract.   Any idea's?   Any chance?

I suggested this  a few days ago and was informed by the cognoscenti that all players are just in it for the money.?

Edited by El Gordo

1 minute ago, Dark Helmet said:

Yeah I tend to agree. I understand the philosophy of wanting to play him and see if he snaps out of it and all. But he's showing zero signs of that. Maybe tell him to take a minor league assignment to work on things or be benched. They're paying him to do nothing anyhow. 

At this point, I want Manny, Jones, Trumbo, and Davis gone. I want Hays, Mullins, and Stewart in the OF. Mancini at 1B. And either Santander at DH or in the minors and Alvarez at DH. 

Davis's problem is not physical, he's no injured or old. It's completely mental. Recall Chuck Knoblauch, who suddenly lost the ability of playing second base (he couldn't throw to first)? This is the same kind of problem that Davis is facing as a hitter. Working with a good psychologist might fix it. 

2 hours ago, RZNJ said:

First off, I would give Davis the rest of this year to see if there is any hope at all.   Assuming there isn't, I would approach him about reaching a settlement on his contract where the Orioles can save something.  Anything.    Obviously, Davis is entitled to the contract in it's entirety.       They could keep playing him.   At some point the fans will really turn on him and it will get to the point that Chris Davis will not want to put himself through it anymore.  Baseball can't be fun when you are this bad.  As the fans turn on him, it will be even less fun.    Perhaps, Davis will consider a buyout of some sort, where he can retire and still collect most of his contract.   Any idea's?   Any chance?

Major League Baseball contracts are fully guaranteed. The Player's Association would never allow Davis or any player to give money away. And why would Davis voluntarily give away millions of dollars anyway? Because he's embarrassed? Come on now.

He's going to see every penny of that contract: whether he is playing in Baltimore or eventually DFA'd. It sounds cruel, but the best option for the O's is to play him, hope he has a career ending injury, and recoup some insurance money.

3 minutes ago, Uli2001 said:

Davis's problem is not physical, he's no injured or old. It's completely mental. Recall Chuck Knoblauch, who suddenly lost the ability of playing second base (he couldn't throw to first)? This is the same kind of problem that Davis is facing as a hitter. Working with a good psychologist might fix it. 

Wishful thinking.

Loss of bat speed is a real thing. Combine that with a loopy upper cut swing and this is what you get. 

Adam Dunn, Ryan Howard, Richie Sexson. He’s not the first all or nothing power hitter to fall of a cliff and he was never as good as those guys to begin with. 

1 minute ago, ChuckS said:

Wishful thinking.

Loss of bat speed is a real thing. Combine that with a loopy upper cut swing and this what you get. 

Adam Dunn, Ryan Howard, Richie Sexson. He’s not the first power hitter to fall of a cliff and he was never as good as those guys to begin with. 

Right, couple the data suggesting three true outcomes types physically decline early with actual data that suggests Davis has declined physically (See: range based defensive metrics, sprint speed) and you don't have to squint very hard to think it may actually be physical.

2 hours ago, Dark Helmet said:

True. But those were more die-hard fans in a different era.  Most fans now are casual and really don't care as much imo.

And Murray had the reputation as a bad guy. Davis is perceived Mich differently.  He comes across as a very likeable g iy. Where Murray didn't. 

Eddie was more popular than Chris ever was.   The press were the ones who hated Eddie the fans lived him.  Eddie Eddie the fans would chant.