Chris Davis 2019 and beyond

Camden_yardbird

5 hours ago, GuidoSarducci said:

I'm wondering, maybe Davis plays so poorly, that he eventually realizes he doesn't have it anymore, and then maybe approaches the O's about some type of buyout in exchange for a retirement announcement?    Yeah, its alot of money to leave on the table, and if he really thinks he can somehow become a legit everyday MLB'er again, its a moot point.  But maybe he values his time and at least salvaging some goodwill from fans.

Ain't happenin'. Davis is going to see every penny of that contract. It's more likely Buck Showalter, in a fit of rage after another caught-looking strikeout, will drag Davis behind the Warehouse and euthanize him before Davis gives away money so the plebeians of Baltimore will forgive him.

• Haha 1

On 5/31/2018 at 1:09 PM, Enjoy Terror said:

With three more plate appearances last night, Chris Davis crosses over the 200PA threshold. He's up from .480 to .483, but moves from 40th to 39th lowest OPS by any player with 200PA in the last 50 years.

Some other notable Oriole performances:

• Mark Belanger's 1972 season is 35th (.482)
  • Rick Dempsey's first year joining the Orioles in 1976 is 25th (.466)
  • Juan Bell's 1991 as a utility infielder for the O's is 12th (.450)
  • Angels top prospect (and former Oriole farmhand) Brandon Wood's 2010 with the Angels is the absolute worst; .382 OPS over 243 PAs.

Just an update:

Davis is now at 212 PAs, so we can move the minimum PA count to 210. His OPS also slid ten points to .473.

That puts him at a two way tie for 22nd worst OPS in a season for the last 50 years. 15,126 unique seasons qualify for these parameters. He is 241st/29885 all time.

At this point, I'm thinking that the Orioles are trying to somehow embarass Davis into negotiating some type of buyout / retirement.    I think they would keep playing him until either they start being competitive again or Davis is blocking a quality prospect 

Edited by GuidoSarducci

5 minutes ago, GuidoSarducci said:

At this point, I'm thinking that the Orioles are trying to somehow embarass Davis into negotiating some type of buyout / retirement.    I think they would keep playing him until either they start being competitive again or Davis is blocking a quality prospect 

No chance this is happening.  Buck has been defending Chris regularly.   

On 5/31/2018 at 3:20 PM, Fuzzball22 said:

Kole Calhoun is having a worse year than Davis. Calhoun is batting .145 and has OPS of .376. Calhouns oWar is -1.9 compared to Davis at -1.6. I should probably have posted this in the Positive vibes only thread but it is buried several pages back and didnt want to bump it:)

I guess if you don't consider defense.  Calhoun's WAR is -1.2 and Davis is -1.8.  

1 minute ago, gtman55 said:

Any other player in baseball with a $161 million guaranteed contract batting .153 with a 40% strikeout rate?

If you can believe it, Chris Davis' K rate is better this year compared to last year. Last year's 37.2% is the worst among qualified batters all time. This year's 35.8% is fourth.