Chris Davis 2019 and beyond

Camden_yardbird

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

Is anybody else really bored with this topic?    It’s just repeating the same five points over and over again.   

Well, i get that Frobby, but it's not going away.  It's like talking about Secretariat at the Belmont.  I mean he blistered the field and it was mind blowing in its sheer magnificence.  There was nothing to say because the effort on the track said it all, and yet people talk about that athletic feat to this day.

I feel for Chris and I hope we can stop poking fun at him because this genuinely must be horrific to bear.  But it's also impossible to not watch and fixate on.  I go back to that video of Chris looking at nothing imparticular as strike three whizzes by and think:  "This guy led the ML in Hr mere seasons ago"  

It's historic, it's sad, it's inexplicable, it's unimaginable and yet here it is.  It's not going away.  

31 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

If I'm Buck, I'm playing him every day, I'm moving him to RF or LF and occasionally playing him at 3B, and finally I'm batting him 9th. I'm basically doing everything I can to get him to get so frustrated and embarrassed that he considers retiring.

The man is just stealing money at this point. With this season being a loss, the hope is the Orioles end up with the worse record in baseball so they can get the 2nd overall pick next year (thanks to the stupid MLB rule of switching the AL/NL each year wit the top pick, the Orioles can't even epically suck at the right time) so they might as well keep playing Davis every single day.

My concern really isn't this season, but what do they do with him in the future? I guess if next year is going to be a rebuilding year they might as well play him again. At least if they are the worse team in baseball next year they'll get the first overall pick in the 2020 draft.

Couple things here...

Yes, I think he should play everyday and I would bat him 9th and move him around.  I'd DH him, Play him in LF, RF...I'd pitch him 4 innings when we are down 9-1.  I'd pitch him the next day if we are down 5-0 in the second.  In short, id use him every minute of this season as a mop and I'd give Chris Davis every opportunity to have value in 2018.  I no longer think he can improve, but the Orioles should give every opportunity to do so until the end of the year and then he should be moved into the warehouse and off the field.

Chris Davis is not a major league ball player at least not with his performance for the last 18 months or so.  But he isn't stealing anything.  To his credit he shows up, everyday.  Now, I don't mean he shouldn't be criticized, of course he should.  And his work ethic has been called into question and I think that is also fair.  But I wish we could be better at the criticism than calling him a thief.  I know I am splitting hairs but this is a fantastic place because of the standards and expectations of posters.  I point this out only in the hopes of you pulling us up an not the rest of us pulling you down. 

Finally, if the rebuild is going to be total, I could see using Davis the same way next year, but honestly I do not think he/we could stand it.  But it could be interesting to see...he could pitch a lot.  Until his arm falls off.  Do you think we have insurance?  And I apologize if I am out of line. ;) 

1 hour ago, MagicBird said:

The team should just tell him to take the rest of the season off.   Get away from baseball all together to get his head straight.   Come back in Jan or Feb and see if things are better.

I don’t know how we do this, but this may be the only thing that could possibly save this guy. And even that is an extreme long shot. While there is obviously some physical degradation, clearly things are weighing on him mentally. Some time away, and almost certainly some help if he’s willing to seek it, might help. It’s a Hail Mary though, as he’s almost certainly finished.

45 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

If I'm Buck, I'm playing him every day, I'm moving him to RF or LF and occasionally playing him at 3B, and finally I'm batting him 9th. I'm basically doing everything I can to get him to get so frustrated and embarrassed that he considers retiring.

The man is just stealing money at this point. With this season being a loss, the hope is the Orioles end up with the worse record in baseball so they can get the 2nd overall pick next year (thanks to the stupid MLB rule of switching the AL/NL each year wit the top pick, the Orioles can't even epically suck at the right time) so they might as well keep playing Davis every single day.

My concern really isn't this season, but what do they do with him in the future? I guess if next year is going to be a rebuilding year they might as well play him again. At least if they are the worse team in baseball next year they'll get the first overall pick in the 2020 draft.

Davis should be begging to be given time off now.  If it was me, I would have asked to be put on the DL for a month in an effort to clear my head and reset.

Why does Buck think running Davis out there everyday is going to fix anything.  Davis needs to go away for a month and make a last ditch effort to fix his swing.  

1 hour ago, JR Oriole said:

I am part bored with it, but for some reason I continue to find it fascinating that Davis can be this bad.  And getting worse.  It defies logic.  He is 32 years old, not 52.  There is natural decline and there is falling off a cliff.  I don't recall seeing a major league hitter and thinking that he had 0% of doing something productive.  I mean, Brandon Fahey inspired more confidence and he couldn't have weighed more than 75 pounds.

This is where I am right now.  It's truly remarkable.  I mean, if he was OPS'ing in the mid .600s, we'd all be angry and saying he isn't worth his contract, etc. but this is just mystifying. 

15 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Davis should be begging to be given time off now.  If it was me, I would have asked to be put on the DL for a month in an effort to clear my head and reset.

Why does Buck think running Davis out there everyday is going to fix anything.  Davis needs to go away for a month and make a last ditch effort to fix his swing.  

IMHO Davis would be doing himself a big, big favor by accepting a minor league assignment right now and get out of the spotlight.  Otherwise, I predict it won't be long before baseball fans everywhere become morbidly fascinated by this and, the internet being what it is, things will turn increasingly nasty.  

1 minute ago, 24fps said:

IMHO Davis would be doing himself a big, big favor by accepting a minor league assignment right now and get out of the spotlight.  Otherwise, I predict it won't be long before baseball fans everywhere become morbidly fascinated by this and, the internet being what it is, things will turn increasingly nasty.  

Davis knows by virtue of Allen Craig that if he accepts a demotion he’s never coming back to the majors. Whether it’s worth the embarrassment, I’ve no idea. But to accept a demotion means that he’s got to ride the bus to and from Norfolk everyday until he retires.

Just now, Enjoy Terror said:

Davis knows by virtue of Allen Craig that if he accepts a demotion he’s never coming back to the majors. Whether it’s worth the embarrassment, I’ve no idea. But to accept a demotion means that he’s got to ride the bus to and from Norfolk everyday until he retires.

I'm sure we could demand a return date and/or his outright release by a certain date.

1 hour ago, Luke-OH said:

Unless this is a brand new rule, that's not how it works. 

Yeah, screwed that one up. The Orioles would still get the 1st overall pick with the worse record it just alternates NL/AL afterwards..

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

Is anybody else really bored with this topic?    It’s just repeating the same five points over and over again.   

I find the thread hilarious. But I know what you are saying we need more threads on this.  I am going to start a thread on "What do you think Chris Davis' walk up music?"  My own vote goes to "Send in the Clowns". 

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, 24fps said:

The booing has started by the fans. It's only going to get worse.

Just now, atomic said:

I find the thread hilarious. But I know what you are saying we need more threads on this.  I am going to start a thread on "What do you think Chris Davis' walk up music?"  My own vote goes to "Send in the Clowns". 

OK, now that’s hilarious!

1 minute ago, Tony-OH said:

Yeah, screwed that one up. The Orioles would still get the 1st overall pick with the worse record it just alternates NL/AL afterwards..

I'm pretty sure that's not the rule anymore either.