Chris Davis 2019 and beyond

Camden_yardbird

2 hours ago, weams said:

Because he is a mess. A broken man. A waste of roster and money. I'm sorry, i can't paste the article for you.  He is certainly not injured in any way. He is benched because of his attitude, I assume. It's why I would have benched him. 

I know next season is already a waste, but I don't see any way they can subject the rest of the team to this again.

I know the money is already spent but they need a clean slate in regards to this matter.

6 hours ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

What's there standard for qualified? Adam Dunn hit .159 in 496 PAs back in 2011.   

Interestingly enough, next year  he hit .204, but also hit 41 HRS for an OPS of .800

This is why I think we should just keep Davis at least for another year or two.   I don't think we should give him the easy way out and just cut him and eat the full salary.   If he really doesn't want to play anymore, he's going to have have to accept a substantial buyout.   We aren't going to be competitive for the forseeable future so aren't risking much by at least keeping on the roster. 

33 minutes ago, GuidoSarducci said:

What's there standard for qualified? Adam Dunn hit .159 in 496 PAs back in 2011.   

Interestingly enough, next year  he hit .204, but also hit 41 HRS for an OPS of .800

This is why I think we should just keep Davis at least for another year or two.   I don't think we should give him the easy way out and just cut him and eat the full salary.   If he really doesn't want to play anymore, he's going to have have to accept a substantial buyout.   We aren't going to be competitive for the forseeable future so aren't risking much by at least keeping on the roster. 

Need 502 plate appearances to qualify for the batting title or in Davis' case the bizarro batting title. 

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, GuidoSarducci said:

But if we aren't competing it doesn't help if Davis becomes better.  No one will trade for him even on the very unlikely chance  he goes back to being mediocre for a year.

1 hour ago, atomic said:

But if we aren't competing it doesn't help if Davis becomes better.  No one will trade for him even on the very unlikely chance  he goes back to being mediocre for a year.

Yes, best outcome is Davis continues to play poorly, then hangs it up and we can avoid having to pay at least some portion of his contract.   

The Dunn comparison would be a justification for keeping Davis on the roster, to the public (media/league/fans).   Ostensibly, you are supposed to field a competitive team, at least with the assets you have, and when someone plays as poorly as Davis has, it gets hard to believe they are doing that.  But the O's can say "well look at Adam Dunn,  hit .159 one season, then 41 homers the next!".   Of course, they can only play that card so long.   

I just think it sends the wrong message, that if you sign a huge multi-year contract here,  proceed to look like you don't even belong in the majors, then say you hate playing baseball, we are going to give you the easy way out and cut you and owe you 100% of what you signed for. 

I don't think there are any precedents to this situation.   Yeah you have guys like Howard who've signed big deals, then looked disappointing/mediocre, but there were still at least some semblance of a major league baseball player.

Pablo Sandoval made no effort to stay in athletic shape or even maintain the fitness of an average non-athlete.  The Red Sox eventually released him when it was obvious he would never even be replacement level again.  I believe they are paying every cent of his contract minus the minimum salary that the Giants paid him for a year.  Sidney Ponson assaulted a judge and made no attempt to stay in shape.  I believe the O's paid him every cent unless someone has evidence to prove otherwise.  Unless Davis commits a felony the O's will pay him every cent he is owed as long as he shows up to work and doesn't test positive for PEDs.  All Davis has to do is show up and sit on the bench.  I hope he is released by the All-Star break next year unless he does a complete turn around in his effort, attitude and performance.

AL LVP – CHRIS DAVIS, ORIOLES

Has Chris Davis just had the worst season by an everyday player in the last 100 years? I don’t ask that question as casually as you might think. But there’s an excellent case that he has! Here’s why:

HE’S HITTING .168! And how many qualifying hitters have had a batting average that low in the last 100 seasons? Yessir. That would be none. (Last to hit under .170 in a season of at least 400 plate appearances? How about Charlie Bastian — for the 1885 Phillies!)

HE’S PILED UP 113 MORE WHIFFS THAN HITS! We’re talking 192 strikeouts, just 79 hits. And who else has ever done that? No one else has ever done that. The previous record was 112 more whiffs than hits — shared by (who else?) Adam Dunn (222/110 in 2012) and Mark Reynolds (211/199 in 2010).

HIS K TOTAL IS HIGHER THAN HIS AVERAGE! We covered this in a recent Useless Info column. What’s the cosmic significance of having a higher strikeout total (192) than batting average (.168), as long as you ignore extraneous technicalities like “decimal points?” Well, this has been done (by Reynolds and Dunn, naturally). But nobody ever out-K’d his average by 20! So there’s that.

HIS B-WAR IS MINUS-2.9! In the last 100 years, the American League has seen just three minus-three-win players, according to baseball-reference.com: 1933 Browns shortstop Jim Levey (minus-3.9), the 1973 version of Lou Piniella (minus-3.1, for reasons apparently driven by ultra-messy defense in the outfield) and the 1931 edition of WAR’s least favorite shortstop, Jim Levey (minus-3.1). And then there’s Chris Davis. Who is at minus-2.9. Yikes!

HE MAKES $23 MILLION! Finally, you hate to bring salary into this. But how can you not bring salary into this? I’m not sure how to divide minus-three wins into 23 million. But whatever that computes to, it’s a clear indication that 23 million bucks just don’t buy what they once did. As I observed when I handed Davis the midseason version of this away, they never used to buy an LVP “trophy.”

On 9/26/2018 at 9:47 PM, ThomasTomasz said:

Boston- they owe $48 million to Sandoval after cutting him.  

When the Dodgers acquired Carl Crawford, Adrian Gonzalez and Josh Beckett, they ate $258 million out of the $270 million still owed.  None of those players were ever at the level of Chris Davis this year, but they ate money through players not performing up to their contracts, quite a bit of it actually.   The Dodgers ended up eating $38 million of Crawford, and traded Gonzalez as part of a salary dump this off-season.  

They actually paid $100 million to players who were not on their World Series roster last season- https://www.thescore.com/mlb/news/1405607

The Angels owed Josh Hamilton $26 million when they cut him in 2017. 

While not entirely under their control, and with the Tigers kicking in $6 million per season and some insurance money, Prince Fielder was owed $106 million when he retired, and MLB contracts are fully guaranteed.  

The Yankees paid A-Rod $26 million to take the final year and some change off. 

The Mets have also paid millions to David Wright and Johan Santana while both were out with injuries.  Santana was paid $37 million after his final pitch for the Mets, and David Wright will have been paid $81 million since he took his last MLB at-bat. 

So yeah, Davis may not be the worst one on here, but he's certainly the worst non-injured player, with Sandoval a close second. 

In many of those cases, (Red Sox, Dodgers, Yankees) you had had teams that were contending and trying to field the best possible team, and didn't want to waste a roster spot on a non-productive player.    Also alot of those teams are big markets.

In the Orioles case, they are nowhere near contention, owe a huge amount, Davis isn't injured, and aren't a big of a market.   They can keep him around for another year, maybe two while in a game of chicken in an attempt to encourage a retirement/buyout.

12 minutes ago, GuidoSarducci said:

In many of those cases, (Red Sox, Dodgers, Yankees) you had had teams that were contending and trying to field the best possible team, and didn't want to waste a roster spot on a non-productive player.    Also alot of those teams are big markets.

In the Orioles case, they are nowhere near contention, owe a huge amount, Davis isn't injured, and aren't a big of a market.   They can keep him around for another year, maybe two while in a game of chicken in an attempt to encourage a retirement/buyout.

Being in contention has nothing to do with the Davis situation. If he is in a state of moping around about his play, and is a general drag on the clubhouse, they have to move on. Odds are neither of the young players will be around when they are contending again, but you can not risk keeping Davis around.

I would bet someone a dollar that this team will not sniff .500 as long as the Davis is in the dugout. Even if he doesn't play he's a drag on the team.

1 hour ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

Pablo Sandoval made no effort to stay in athletic shape or even maintain the fitness of an average non-athlete.  The Red Sox eventually released him when it was obvious he would never even be replacement level again.  I believe they are paying every cent of his contract minus the minimum salary that the Giants paid him for a year.  Sidney Ponson assaulted a judge and made no attempt to stay in shape.  I believe the O's paid him every cent unless someone has evidence to prove otherwise.  Unless Davis commits a felony the O's will pay him every cent he is owed as long as he shows up to work and doesn't test positive for PEDs.  All Davis has to do is show up and sit on the bench.  I hope he is released by the All-Star break next year unless he does a complete turn around in his effort, attitude and performance.

I hate to be in the position of defending Sandoval but the bolded just isn't true.

First off Sandoval is at .1 rWAR this season, so he's replacement level for the Giants.

As for not making any effort to be in shape.

Cy_1Ni3WQAAEHZD.jpg

That is from Dec of 2016.

Have a video: