Chris Davis 2019 and beyond

Camden_yardbird

7 hours ago, atomic said:

I didn’t see the game today but a double and a single and his OPS is over .600.  I hope he keeps hitting and proves us all wrong about him.  

OH GAWD!!!

The brains of humans and other mammals are highly vulnerable to interruptions in blood flow and decreases in oxygen levels. Here we describe the restoration and maintenance of microcirculation and molecular and cellular functions of the intact pig brain under ex vivo normothermic conditions up to four hours post-mortem. We have developed an extracorporeal pulsatile-perfusion system and a haemoglobin-based, acellular, non-coagulative, echogenic, and cytoprotective perfusate that promotes recovery from anoxia, reduces reperfusion injury, prevents oedema, and metabolically supports the energy requirements of the brain. With this system, we observed preservation of cytoarchitecture; attenuation of cell death; and restoration of vascular dilatory and glial inflammatory responses, spontaneous synaptic activity, and active cerebral metabolism in the absence of global electrocorticographic activity. These findings demonstrate that under appropriate conditions the isolated, intact large mammalian brain possesses an underappreciated capacity for restoration of microcirculation and molecular and cellular activity after a prolonged post-mortem interval.

"Restoration of brain circulation and cellular functions hours post-mortem," Nature, 17 April 2019.

4 hours ago, Maverick Hiker said:

I know they used the shift against Williams, I read his book My Turn at Bat.

However the  shift has gotten out of hand in today's game. Having these infielders  out of position , four outfielders, It takes away from the tradition and the majesty of the game. Actually I think I read MLB is thinking about banning the shift. 

(But perhaps this discussion  is better left for its own  thread as I don't want to distract or go off topic from the Chris Davis thread.)

If you made rules where players had to play that would destroy the tradition and majesty of the game,  I watched the 1970 World Series recently and the Orioles shifted on Lee May.

Do you think a team would have ever shifted on Rod Carew?  He would have destroyed a shifted defense.

29 minutes ago, atomic said:

If you made rules where players had to play that would destroy the tradition and majesty of the game,  I watched the 1970 World Series recently and the Orioles shifted on Lee May.

Do you think a team would have ever shifted on Rod Carew?  He would have destroyed a shifted defense.

What exactly is the traditional, majestic term for a fourth outfielder? For a third baseman playing on the right side of second base?

5 minutes ago, LA2 said:

What exactly is the traditional, majestic term for a fourth outfielder? For a third baseman playing on the right side of second base?

It is altering the game for bad players.  This makes all hitting records meaningless going forward,

10 hours ago, El_Duderino said:

Just stopping by to note that these little “hot streaks” have happened every year for him. No one should be fooled.

It would take at least two months of sustained good hitting for me to think anything had fundamentally changed for Davis.    

At the break, Davis is being used more selectively, and is hitting about 21 points higher than last year, arriving at the break hitting .189 after walloping a .168 in 2018.  On the downside, he is striking out more, over 43% of his at bats end in K.  So...his batting average on balls in play is nearly .300.  Over the last week, it is .667.

Davis is done, I don't think he is going anywhere soon, but it aint because he just had a good week.  He is still producing negative WAR.  And as Frobby points out above, it would take something more to show that something is different.  Davis hasn't hit for 2 months in years.  Enjoy the fireworks when they come, and let's hope simply for enough talent to rise that Davis cannot he kept.  

8 hours ago, LA2 said:

Did anyone see Matt Carpenter get a double by bunting down the third base line, away from the shift? A funny moment, and one that I thought the OH would appreciate 

12 hours ago, El_Duderino said:

Just stopping by to note that these little “hot streaks” have happened every year for him. No one should be fooled.

11 hours ago, El_Duderino said:

Them days are long gone. Not to return.

So in back-to-back posts you state that he's doing what he does every year AND that he'll never be the player he's been in the past?

1 hour ago, foxfield said:

At the break, Davis is being used more selectively, and is hitting about 21 points higher than last year, arriving at the break hitting .189 after walloping a .168 in 2018.  On the downside, he is striking out more, over 43% of his at bats end in K.  So...his batting average on balls in play is nearly .300.  Over the last week, it is .667.

Davis is done, I don't think he is going anywhere soon, but it aint because he just had a good week.  He is still producing negative WAR.  And as Frobby points out above, it would take something more to show that something is different.  Davis hasn't hit for 2 months in years.  Enjoy the fireworks when they come, and let's hope simply for enough talent to rise that Davis cannot he kept.  

He has raised his WAR on the season to -0.5  WAR from -1.2 WAR.  I think that is a positive.

He now has better WAR than the following position players:

Martin -1.4 WAR

Mullins -0.7 WAR

Wilkerson -0.7 WAR

If he keeps hitting he will be a head of 

Dwight Smith Jr -0.4 WAR

Broxton -0.1 WAR

Soon enough.  At this point there are players that need to be released before even considering releasing Davis.  

1 hour ago, foxfield said:

A week of batted-ball data isn't particularly telling of anything, good or bad.

On 7/5/2019 at 9:16 AM, DrungoHazewood said:

How about this: what if they gave up free agency for a set percentage of revenues?  How high would that have to be for the MLBPA to agree?  50%?  60%?  Never?  If I were a player I think I'd vote for never. I'd rather take less money in exchange for eventual freedom to choose my employer.

How does the guaranteed percentage of revenues thing work in other sports?  Is it league-wide revenues, or per team?

Here's how I view MLB, as 1 company with 30 different departments/divisions. So a player being able to pick where they work is somewhat like working for IBM and telling them what city you want to work in. I'm not saying players shouldn't have some freedoms on where they live, but I work for a big company and can't say "Hey Boss I'm tired of working in Harrisburg, move me to San Diego next month". Well I guess I can say it, but small chance of it happening.

They Yankees can't survive unless they have competitive teams to play. Coke will be just fine if Pepsi goes belly up.....The Yankees will suffer if the Red Sox, Rays, Cubs, Dodgers and Orioles go out of business.