Chris Davis 2019 and beyond

Camden_yardbird

A while back I thought any trade to get anything for him was best, but I don't think anyone buys a ticket on the Titanic while witnessing it plummet to the bottom of the sea.  Time to release him and eat it.  He can't and shouldn't be a veteran leader on a young team with the level of suck he has demonstrated for the past season or two.  Time to cut bait.

5 minutes ago, drjohnnyfeva said:

A while back I thought any trade to get anything for him was best, but I don't think anyone buys a ticket on the Titanic while witnessing it plummet to the bottom of the sea.  Time to release him and eat it.  He can't and shouldn't be a veteran leader on a young team with the level of suck he has demonstrated for the past season or two.  Time to cut bait.

Why? Play him until you are trying to win more games than you lose again. 

3 minutes ago, drjohnnyfeva said:

They will not cut bait, when he is finally hitting.

Davis was batting .316 (12-for-38) in his last 10 games

1 minute ago, weams said:

Again he's hitting .226 with 7 homers in 150 ABs since the ASB. If he can somehow get to .250-.260 and cut down the strikeouts he's probably something you can live with.

As it is at .226 you'd get 28 homes and 85ish RBI. You could live with that through the contract.

God, I feel really lame doing this, but it's something I've noticed. Davis' BA up to .179 and over the last 15 days it's been .298 (albeit it's an empty BA). 

The sad part is, I'm not even being sarcastic. With the season he's had, it's been notable when he has a few two hit games over the course of two weeks. It may be his best stretch of the season. I still hope he crawls out of this hole to at least get the OPS near 750 for a few years. 

Edited by Grt 2BA FL Gator

5 minutes ago, Grt 2BA FL Gator said:

God, I feel really lame doing this, but it's something I've noticed. Davis' BA up to .179 and over the last 15 days it's been .298 (albeit it's an empty BA). 

The sad part is, I'm not even being sarcastic. With the season he's had, it's been notable when he has a few two hit games over the course of two weeks. It may be his best stretch of the season. I still hope he crawls out of this hole to at least get the OPS near 750 for a few years. 

If he gets over .179, he avoids having the lowest BA of any qualified hitter in baseball history (record held by Rob Deer and Dan Uggla).    For his sake, I hope he does.    

26 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

Again he's hitting .226 with 7 homers in 150 ABs since the ASB. If he can somehow get to .250-.260 and cut down the strikeouts he's probably something you can live with.

As it is at .226 you'd get 28 homes and 85ish RBI. You could live with that through the contract.

No. But it does not matter. You have to pay every penny of it. Let him try to be Matt Kemp for 12 minutes while you rebuild. Certainly not blocking any real first basemen in the org. 

• Upvote 1

On 9/4/2018 at 2:34 AM, OriolesMagic83 said:

Davis just stretched out 1 year of the production the O;s paid for over 2 years.  48 HR/121 RBI sounds pretty good.

In a different time-space continuum than the other O's even though he's never been an Astro.

Must be the reason behind that gentle dazed look in his eyes whenever he sees white-hot spheres falling through the strike zone during re-entry.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, weams said:

Why? 

There are other players to evaluate and we are going younger. Plus,  personally - which likely doesn't matter to anyone but me - I didn't like what I saw early in the season from him tempermentally when he was frustrated and struggling.  For me, it's not about getting anything out of a bad contract with him, it's about the example he might or might not set.  Both could be negative.  The whole discussion and backtracking about the work he put in during the offseason was enough for me now in not wanting him as a guy the youngsters look to when they struggle.

8 hours ago, Roll Tide said:

Not that this year is a good example, but did any of that production since the ASB contribute to wins?  Not that there have been many "clutch" situations this year, but how much of that production was meaningful?  Maybe it's not fair to ask with such overall suckitude.

5 minutes ago, drjohnnyfeva said:

Why? 

There are other players to evaluate and we are going younger. Plus,  personally - which likely doesn't matter to anyone but me - I didn't like what I saw early in the season from him tempermentally when he was frustrated and struggling.  For me, it's not about getting anything out of a bad contract with him, it's about the example he might or might not set.  Both could be negative.  The whole discussion and backtracking about the work he put in during the offseason was enough for me now in not wanting him as a guy the youngsters look to when they struggle.

Why? Because the Orioles do not need to fill that position with anyone better until they are ready to compete. And try as he will, Bobby Dickerson is not making Mancini into a slick fielder. He is a DH.