Chris Davis 2019 and beyond

Camden_yardbird

17 hours ago, osfan83 said:

if MLB is not one company, and each team is a company unto it's self, can the Yankees decided to leave the MLB and play in a different league? If the Yankees would do just fine playing against fewer teams, maybe they form their own league, demand half of the profits of all the other teams for the privilege of playing against the Yankees. 

MLB has an antitrust exemption that precludes that. 

1 minute ago, weams said:

The best record in baseball for five seasons? 

Not the best record in baseball.    The best record in the AL.    If I recall correctly, three NL teams were better, certainly including the Nats, who I believe had a better record than the Orioles in each of the five seasons.

While I enjoyed the five-year run, I think a number of short-sighted decisions were made that caused the team to fall off a cliff after that.    I would have preferred a philosophy that gave us a chance to sustain some success.     Plus, the team made several decisions that turned out very poorly, the Davis contract being the most glaring one.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, weams said:

Five years works well for a small market team with limited finances. 

I don’t want to hear that excuse.    Tampa and Oakland may not be great every season, but they’ve managed to be good more often than not without falling into an abyss.   We were 78 games over .500 in 2012-16 and then 80 games under .500 the next two years.    Now we’re 35 games under this season with at least a couple more years of losing in front of us.    Not a great outcome IMO.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I don’t want to hear that excuse.    Tampa and Oakland may not be great every season, but they’ve managed to be good more often than not without falling into an abyss.   We were 78 games over .500 in 2012-16 and then 80 games under .500 the next two years.    Now we’re 35 games under this season with at least a couple more years of losing in front of us.    Not a great outcome IMO.

At the time wasn't a lot of the board in favor of trading future losses for extending the window?

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

At the time wasn't a lot of the board in favor of trading future losses for extending the window?

Sure.   Some were for that, some were against it.    But regardless of where anyone stood on that, the execution of the plan was poor.     There’s no point in re-litigating it all now; what’s done is done and we are where we are.   

1 hour ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Cities and states don't seem to have any problem offering up exorbitant sums to make sure they keep their particular form of entertainment from moving away.  Montreal is the only city in my lifetime that said "no thanks, we'll be fine without baseball".  And even they seem to be reconsidering that choice.

Cities would probably be better of spending the money on making a  a museum or even a zoo a world class attraction.  People over rate the value of sports. 

23 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

And then there were those like you who ready to break up the team during and  after the 2012 season.  If you say the same thing enough times you will be eventually right.  As they say a broken clock is right twice a day. 

15 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Sure.   Some were for that, some were against it.    But regardless of where anyone stood on that, the execution of the plan was poor.     There’s no point in re-litigating it all now; what’s done is done and we are where we are.   

My biggest reason for optimism is I do not believe for one second Elias comes here unless he is on the same page with ownership.

Over time we will find out how it works but it was never going to work with how Peter ran things.  

3 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

My biggest reason for optimism is I do not believe for one second Elias comes here unless he is on the same page with ownership.

Over time we will find out how it works but it was never going to work with how Peter ran things.  

Only 30 of these jobs.  You can go from hot property to also ran in an offseason or two.  Just look at Kim Ng.