Chris Davis 2019 and beyond

Camden_yardbird

2 minutes ago, atomic said:

The White Sox didn't give up on Dunn.  The Phillies didn't give up on Howard.  He is here to stay.  I wish they would get rid of the guys who aren't owed 100 million who are stinkin up the joint. 

Look at his numbers. Those guys were not this bad. He is beyond brutal. 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Il BuonO said:

He is blocking someone. Any replacement level player not making $160 mil. Or, the guy currently playing LF for the Orioles. Or, Trumbo. Or, Alvarez. 

Play the best nine/ten available for each game, regardless of salary. Sunk cost is a thing.

Even complaining about the CD situation is becoming a waste of time and energy.  This is the right way to look at things.  Nonetheless I don't see it happening until the end of the season.  Sadly.

11 minutes ago, Oriol3s said:

I don't think they DFA him with 4 more years left.  In a very unlikely scenario, maybe they can convince him to walk away.

I think my scenario of suggesting an assignment to “work on things” (no, I don’t mean him working on being more aggressive in the strike zone) (of course, that worked well) is more likely. He needs to make adjustments with the position of his hands, his stance, anything that looks as if he’s actually making changes not paying lip service to that. 

If he refuses tell him he can ride the bench indefinitely. The embarrassment might convince him to try and earn his way back by doing whatever it takes.

Then again, I’ve yet to be convinced that with most MLB players it’s not about ego. He certainly has a manager who’ll give him plenty of rope.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Il BuonO said:

I think my scenario of suggesting an assignment to “work on things” (no, I don’t mean him working on being more aggressive in the strike zone) (of course, that worked well) is more likely. He needs to make adjustments with the position of his hands, his stance, anything that looks as if he’s actually making changes not paying lip service to that. 

If he refuses tell him he can ride the bench indefinitely. The embarrassment might convince him to try and earn his way back by doing whatever it takes.

Then again, I’ve yet to be convinced that with most MLB players it’s not about ego. He certainly has a manager who’ll give him plenty of rope.

I would play him every day. Let him have the worst season in major league history. There is no reason not to play him at this point.  Make it so even people who don't know baseball know who Chris Davis is.  

11 minutes ago, Il BuonO said:

He is blocking someone. Any replacement level player not making $160 mil. Or, the guy currently playing LF for the Orioles. Or, Trumbo. Or, Alvarez. 

Play the best nine/ten available for each game, regardless of salary. Sunk cost is a thing.

I don't see the point.  If you play the best nine or ten this year, the team isn't much better (because the entire organization is a mess), and you're still paying Davis that money to potentially figure it out somewhere.  You might as well jettison Cobb too.  You're basically paying a ton of money to play for respectability, which you won't get anyway.

16 minutes ago, gtown said:

I don't agree with playing the best nine/ten. At this point, all playing time should be prioritized by:

1. Player development at the major league level.

2. Showcasing players for possible trades, hoping to increase value.

Davis is not blocking anyone. As frustrating as it may seem, there are no 1B players on the farm who don't appear to need more time in the minors. 

That said, Davis, with his contract, will never have positive trade value. It is a sunk cost. If a player with potential trade value were to become available via waivers, I would have no problem DFA'ing Davis.

Mancini is not a credible option in LF and oh, btw, plays 1B. He should be developing at 1B not moved to the OF to satisfy some obligatory need of salary rationalization for players falling off a cliff.

And you admit there is no possible trade market for Davis. Of course you’d have no problem with him being DFA, neither would anyone with a working knowledge of basic roster construction. 

The problem is, the Orioles cannot afford big mistakes in FA and they made a huge one. Angelos hasn’t historically given the ok for them to eat this much money. Ever.

But good luck with that.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

Ubaldo was not this bad. He is hitting worse than a pitcher. Ubaldo in relation was Tom Seaver. 

Yeah, but Davis is owed a lot more money.  Angelos does not pay employees cor not working.  He will tolerate Davis being awful rather than pay him to not work. 

4 minutes ago, Barnaby Graves said:

I don't see the point.  If you play the best nine or ten this year, the team isn't much better (because the entire organization is a mess), and you're still paying Davis that money to potentially figure it out somewhere.  You might as well jettison Cobb too.  You're basically paying a ton of money to play for respectability, which you won't get anyway.

Not my choice. And Cobb should have never been signed by a team better suited for a rebuild.

You won’t get any argument from me about the state of the organization.

1 minute ago, tntoriole said:

Yeah, but Davis is owed a lot more money.  Angelos does not pay employees cor not working.  He will tolerate Davis being awful rather than pay him to not work. 

This comment is an article of faith bordering on urban legend.  Or maybe it's the other way around.  Either way you have no way of knowing what the Orioles will or won't do in the face of a situation like this.  It is unprecedented.