Manny signs with Padres

weams

26 minutes ago, atomic said:

People on here crying because the Orioles didnt pay $300 million and I suggest signing someone for $5 million and they act like I am.crazy.

Really I am not sure the attachment to Machado.  No one seems to care about Adam coming back.

Two years ago, I would have wanted us to sign Manny for 10/$300.    But given how the team collapsed, I think the first several years of that would be wasted.   I’d rather save the money and spend it to add a star player once we’re already a pretty good team.    

• Replies 396
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, Frobby said:

Well, now it’s time for all the geniuses here who said Manny wouldn’t get $300 mm to eat crow.    I’m pretty sure that includes atomic and webbrick2010.     Fess up boys, you were WRONG.

The question is now, so we really think Manny ever takes $300m from the Padres?

my money is on no, I’d say he opts out after 5 years unless he hurts himself and the contract is an albatross

Just now, incubus said:

The question is now, so we really think Manny ever takes $300m from the Padres?

my money is on no, I’d say he opts out after 5 years unless he hurts himself and the contract is an albatross

I could see it if SD continues their rebuild the right way and builds a perennial contender. Don't know the odds of that tho.

3 hours ago, TonySoprano said:

Just for perspective...a monthly (12 months around the year) paycheck on 30 million annual would be 2.5 million gross ...estimated federal tax withholding would be 897,000 per month...about 1.5 to 1.6 million take home on the digital pay stub each month, every month for the next ten years, guaranteed. 

You wonder if his agent’s fee is prorated or percentage based....say 10 percent of each monthly check which would be 150,000 per month for the next ten years to the agent?  Or maybe there is a lump sum payment? 

13 minutes ago, tntoriole said:

Just for perspective...a monthly (12 months around the year) paycheck on 30 million annual would be 2.5 million gross ...estimated federal tax withholding would be 897,000 per month...about 1.5 to 1.6 million take home on the digital pay stub each month, every month for the next ten years, guaranteed. 

You wonder if his agent’s fee is prorated or percentage based....say 10 percent of each monthly check which would be 150,000 per month for the next ten years to the agent?  Or maybe there is a lump sum payment? 

Doesn't CA have a state tax also?  Not much to live on if you buy the mansion, the yacht and all the crew costs.  ?

1 minute ago, bobmc said:

Doesn't CA have a state tax also?  Not much to live on if you buy the mansion, the yacht and all the crew costs.  ?

Big time state tax. Plus everything is expensiver there too. Gas is like a dollar more a gallon than here.

It only takes one team to freak out and give out the money. Manny is a great player, but signing him for 10yr, $300 is a huge risk. The Padres have been irrelevant since probably the Tony Gwynn years so perhaps this will help them become relevant once again. with a good farm system, maybe Manny is the piece that puts them over. 

Archived