Manny signs with Padres

weams

1 hour ago, Moose Milligan said:

The "Don't throw it away...don't throw it at all!" play might be the best, most heads up play I've ever seen.  The amount of balls that a 20 year old converted SS had to pull that off in the middle of a pennant run is absurd.  

You'll never see another play like that again.

It’s literally my favorite play ever. 

In baseball. Nothing could ever beat Kick Six against Bama. 

• Replies 396
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

The "Don't throw it away...don't throw it at all!" play might be the best, most heads up play I've ever seen.  The amount of balls that a 20 year old converted SS had to pull that off in the middle of a pennant run is absurd.  

You'll never see another play like that again.

^^this^^

I could watch the play you're referring to 30 times in a row and not get sick of it.  

22 hours ago, Bubble Buddy said:

That play at 4:12 truly seems impossible.

San Diego seems like a great fit for Manny. And selfishly the Padres are so nondescript that being a Manny fan as well as an Orioles fan should be quite easy.

I sure will miss him and I'm not even sure it's hit me all the way yet that he's gone. Pretty much checked out from watching games last season after the miserable start. 

Who is the Yankee looking back at Manny in utter disbelief at 4:16?

Who is the first baseman at 4:26? (Must have been an All-Star Game.)

2 minutes ago, LA2 said:

Who is the Yankee looking back at Manny in utter disbelief at 4:16?

Who is the first baseman at 4:26? (Must have been an All-Star Game.)

That was the guy Manny retired at first base on the play at 4:12 (the one where he bobbled the ball well into foul territory, got a hold of it, and still threw out the runner).

It was a Yankee utility infielder that year.  Something like Luis Ortiz?   Of course we now have a Luis Ortiz so that could be confusing me.

The look on his face was classic.

Even more than Manny playing third what I feel nostalgic about is often only at the edges of the video highlights (or completely off-screen): the all-around superiority of the O's whole inner ring of defense: Manny, yes, but also JJ, Wieters, and Davis (the various second basemen were not at the same level, but also weren't handicaps). They supplied a core that, with Adam, helped to make up for a lot of mediocre pitching.

On 2/22/2019 at 4:07 PM, Number5 said:

Toss up between that one and Jeter's game-saving play in the play-offs on the errant throw in foul territory off the fist base line to get the guy at home.  Still no idea what he was even doing there.  I don't really like Jeter, and never thought he was a particularly good shortstop, but that play was amazing, IMO.

That Jeter play was amazing. Roberto Alomar also made several mind blowing plays. Machado rocked third base. 

Archived